10/01/00 - What is the Most Important Riding Lesson You Have Learned? - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 12:45 PM
Dad

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by BigChieFTP
... Also keep arms and legs tucked in tight as possible when sliding and flipping through people's yards !!!
A quick etiquette question... do you charge people for the hedge trim and lawn airation in an instance like this or just let them have it as a "freebie"?

Last edited by Dad; 03-25-2001 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:27 PM

HeHe....the job i did on their lawn with the bike and myself was totally free of charge. I'm pretty good at it.....Do ya need any yard help sometime soon??
post #33 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:44 PM

Lesson

The single most important thing I've learned is to keep 2 fingers on the clutch and the front brake levers at all times, NOT just when I think there might be a chance of needing them. Usually, for me, excrement occurs when I least expect it.

Interestingly enough, did ya know it takes about a half second to uncurl your fingers from the grip and reach for the lever? At 60 mph that = about 66 feet. 66 feet lost when ya coulda been doing some hard braking. Personally I'd much rather stop 1 foot before the car, dog, deaf and blind senior citizen, whatever, than to stop 65 feet after hitting them.

I know, the racers don't do this on the track. I've watched them too. But I still do it on the track anyway in case some dork decides to shut the door on me when I'm half way through it already.

And, if you're riding correctly, you don't need to hold onto the grips anyway. Your body weight will be sufficient to keep your hands there... especially under braking when your weight transfers forward.

post #34 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:21 PM

Re: Lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Bikenut
for me, excrement occurs when I least expect it.
huh? Is your nickname poopypants? I think they make adult diapers for your problem.
post #35 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:50 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by BigChieFTP
HeHe....the job i did on their lawn with the bike and myself was totally free of charge. I'm pretty good at it.....Do ya need any yard help sometime soon??
HAHA!

Snow ain't bad either
post #36 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:47 AM

I would say the best lesson is riding your own pace. But in order to do that you have to be able to recognize when you are getting in over your head. Self awareness is key to recognizing when you are starting to get behind and are reacting to the bike instead of commanding it.
post #37 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:26 AM

Reply to funksouljon

Quote: "huh? Is your nickname poopypants? I think they make adult diapers for your problem." Unquote, funksouljon.

Ummmmmmmm... tell me something my friend. How can you breathe with your head stuck so far up in there?

Last edited by Bikenut; 03-26-2001 at 11:44 AM.
post #38 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:58 PM

Re: Reply to funksouljon

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
..."huh? Is your nickname poopypants? I think they make adult diapers for your problem."...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bikenut
...Ummmmmmmm... tell me something my friend. How can you breathe with your head stuck so far up in there?...
LMAO, Jon!

Bikenutz, he uses the anal re-breather that was developed by the GOTARAM Corporation. They work really well when confronted with the dreaded *Anal Rectal Inversion* or ARI for short. Not using one will cause certain irritability as was depicted in your reply to his post. My recommendation is that you get yourself to the drugstore ASAP, and get one!

As for the most important lesson I've learned from this thread?

Always...oh wait...Never ride behind another rider that
always keeps two fingers on the front brake and two
on the clutch, and always shut the door on him in the
turns. You can, because he's expecting it.
post #39 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:36 PM

Talking

NEVER RIDE WITH PEOPLE YOU DON'T LIKE!!
post #40 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:11 PM

Riding with people ya don't like

Thanks 93Redkat, I've already met 2 people through this forum I don't want to go riding with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode