06/25/00 - Stock exhaust vs. aftermarket. - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 05:05 AM

Arrow

You will not find more than 1 in 250 Ducatis have a stock can. There is a very good reason for this (and that 1 in 250 is just too cheap to admit it). Ducati engines are tuned for high performance and minimal concern for emmisions. They are targetted for the European market, which until recently had very loose emission regulations. This is contrast to the Japanese bikes that are engineered for thier target market and least common denominator (US and Califonria emissions).

So you take this bike that is loud and fuming and bring it to the states. You slap a very restrictive can on it to make it quiet and you lean out the fuel injection to reduce emmisions. Now you've got a bike that is running too lean (which means underpowered and coughing) and it is choked by the restrictive can. If you want to ride along running at 90% power and the bike coughing, go ahead. I choose to have all the power that bike was meant to deliver and to not look like a fool "vroom.. cough.. cough.. vroooom..."

------------------
- Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 06:32 AM

IMHO -

Full systems are a waste of money on most late model sportbikes. No significant advantage over slip-ons in weight nor performance. 2-3 horsepower is not really detectable on a streetbike. Slip-ons do have advantages as mentioned, sound, weight, and some power advantages. They usually are tuned to smooth out the power curve and give more midrange boost.

For race bikes, a full system is a must. They need to be light, rugged and quickly removed. Plus tuned for highly modified engines.

I personally plan to take a racing school before I invest in slip-ons for the RC 51.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 06:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
john,

i'm not second guessing, just asking, but i hear that for amateur racing a stock pipe is better because it crashes better. and then after market if you wad it up too much because it's cheaper. (btw this is more of ss bike, not a superbike)

just askin'

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited June 27, 2000).]

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up

Tony, that's not a bad way to look at it. Really, for first-time racers in Amateur class, there's no need to do a whole lot to a bike. Unless you've really got some talent, and are winning races right off the bat, the first year is a learning year. It's pretty much a waste of money to do a bunch of mods to the bike.

So yeah, you can totally get by with a stock pipe when you start racing. They aren't necessarily cheaper than aftermarket pipes if you have to replace it, but since so many people swap pipes, there are LOTS of OEM systems out there for sale, so you can pick them up used.

However, if it were me, and I crashed on the stock pipe and damaged it, I think I would just take that opportunity to get an aftermarket system...

------------------
I'm not joking. And don't call me Shirley.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 08:35 AM

Loud bikes save lives. They might attract the cops, but I've never been stopped. Just pull in the clutch whenever you see the boys in blue.
Until recently, my friend on his ZX-11 had a stock pipe. I watched someone try to change into his lane when he was next to them (passing her slowly down a 6 lane road). However, on both my F1 and my ZX6R, I have never had anyone try to come into my lane. My F1 was seriously the loudest bike I've ever heard. Should have seen the crowd scatter when I had it dynoed. At 13k it had to have been 150 db easily. First owner put on a Jardine pipe.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 08:49 AM
Pete

AZ Scott, Tony can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's what he was saying; after you wad the stock pipe up, which may last thru more crashes than say a C/F aftermkt pipe, then go to an aftermkt pipe, which will be cheaper than going back to OEM (unless, like you said, you find a take-off OEM pipe for sale cheap).

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 10:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
bingo pete

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 05:28 AM

well, right now, i have the stock pipes on my bike. they look decent (better than the stock E-model pipes), and are quiet. not as quiet as a friend of mine's ST1100 (basically a honda car), but more quiet than the stocks on my old Radian. that little bike had some rumble!!
but, i found out my man is buying me a Muzzy full system for x-mas this year. which works, since my stock system is now "bent". or should i say dragon "bit"?

------------------
Amy
"Smiling from gear to gear."
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 12:18 PM
cheetos

I agree with AZ Scott's last post also. Use that OEM and go to aftermarket if or when you wad the OEM. I was not clear about the racing thing. It is sort of like me on the RC 51, I don't need additional performance yet. I need more skill.

For those that don't like the sound of a sewing machine... buy a twin.

Oh and the "loud pipes save lives" thing... don't even get me started. With 30K miles in 4 years I have had one person pull into my lane on me and it was a cab driver on Michigan Ave in Chicago. I was on a stock piped VFR. The bastard had his window down and could hear me as I cursed his ass out. I'm not sure what that crap was he said back to me. LOUD PIPES DO NOT SAVE LIVES... they piss non-riders off. There that's as close to a flame as I will get... don't take it personally. And I'm not saying that I don't like a somewhat loud sportbike. It just defies the laws of physics to think that they save lives. Laws are there to be broken.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2000, 09:00 PM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:

but this is battle we probably wanna avoid.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell no, let's go. I'm ready. In all honesty, I don't believe the argument can be proven 100% either way. I do believe that a loud pipe can alert a cage operator to your presence. Please note the operative word here is "can", I did not say "will" or "does". And I have proven my theory; with a downshift and a throttle blip, I have twisted a few cager's necks. Yes, I could have probably achieved the same result with my meep-meep horn, but I would much rather hear my pipe than that anemic thing. Besides, a horn is usually used to indicate trouble of some sort, and I don't care to piss off my brethren in their duallies.

Again, I am not of the mindset that believes you have to have a loud pipe to stay alive. But I cannot agree that a loud pipe does nothing more than annoy the neighbors and alert the cops.

We can argue this topic until the day we die, but that's never stopped us before, right?. Here's my key point: there are times when a loud pipe does add to the safety factor, and times when it doesn't. So, have an open mind, just not too open.....or your brains will fall out.

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited June 29, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode