03/05/00 How far have you ridden in one day? - Page 9 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 01:23 PM

My longest trip was from Baltimore to Vermont in the fall of my first year riding. It was about 475 miles each way. I made the trip alright but I was in no hurry to get on the bike and return. I'm not a big fan of long distance rides. I would much rather hit up local twisties or work on my wheelies. This past season I didn't make a single trip over 150 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 04:57 PM

Accidentally did 750-800 miles!

Accidentally did 750-800 miles!

I was heading down I-95, solo, on my first sport touring experience. I figured NYC to Florida would be a nice easy target. I mean, you get on one road and just lock the throttle for 20 or so hours… I had just bought a GPS system, (not that I needed it for this trip, but I figured, why not?), but to be honest I didn’t quite now how to program it yet.

Long story short, I expected the GPS to tell me when I reached my midway point in Fayetteville, NC. I was pretty much just riding oblivious, absolutely in love with the trip, ( I had escaped Manhattan!!). I stopped about every 400 miles for gas and some snacks, but otherwise I kept pace. Here’s an interesting tid-bit, my cockpit lights where out, (too expensive to fix and not worth the effort). Bottom line, when it got dark, I couldn’t see my speed, distance or anything. I just checked the GPS periodically for my progress.

Well, I zoned out somewhere in Virginia and just rode the throttle rocker for hours. When my body simply couldn’t stand it anymore and I notice myself fading, I stopped in what ever reasonable motel I could find. There are a slew of them on that road. I found out that I was just outside of Savannah, Georgia! (About 800 miles from NYC.)

In all honesty, the distance sucked. It really put a damper on my trip. My body screamed at me the next morning and I deserved it. I think when I do the trip again, I’ll break it into 3 days. That would be a lot of fun. This was simply to extreme to me, it really was. I was on an R6, so my butt hurt something awful. My shoulders where shot and for some weird reason, my skin seemed to be incredibly hyper-sensitive. I could barely take my gear off at the motel. Eh, live and learn…but always ride.

Thanks for reading!
NYbabygirl
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 07:55 PM

700 miles from Dallas to Pueblo, CO on a 1998 800 VFR

On another 6 day 3,100 mile trip I was on a 1987 700 VFR. The Longest day was from Bryce Canyon, Utah to Flagstaff AZ visiting all the canyons. Meant to stop in Page, AZ but no room in the Inn. Started that day at 8:00am and ended just after midnight. No open gas stations from Page to Flagstaff meant I had to go 240 miles on one tank.

That lonely pitch black night on what I assumed to be a desert hwy was when I started talking to my bike. "please get me to civilization without running out of gas". "Come on you can do it" Thanks again my old friend.

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 02:45 PM

My longest ride was 783 miles in a day. To make it more fun the last 275 or 300 were at night on West Va. mountain twisties lost and without cell phone service.
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 PM

Well, on my last 6.000 km trip to Sardinia, on past June, I beat my own personal long distance record in a sole journey. I made 1.755 km (1090 miles) riding my FJR for 15 hours (19 hours including meals and refuel stops) from Marseille, in France, to Lisbon, in Portugal.

You may read this new trip of mine story and find the many pictures of it in my website at:

http://pierre.inazores.com

Now I'm candidating to the Iron Butt Association

Last edited by apierre; 08-20-2004 at 02:59 PM.
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 07:11 AM

Orlando to Deals Gap and back (only one day at the gap)
93 ZX-11 not too bad
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 PM

I guess my two longest days have been Ft. Knox, Ky to 70 miles south of Dallas on a 1980 Honda 750F and Laramie, WY to EL Paso, TX on a 1982 900F. Have done so many 400-600 mile days I have lost count. I guess I am Older and less limber now, I try to keep it 400 or less in a day. That F150 and trailer look pretty good on those 95 degree days.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:34 AM

1172 miles, was returning home from a military deployment and rode my Busa straight on I-70 from Ft. Riley KS, to Washington DC.
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:10 PM

bout 400 miles. My husband and I, and a couple of friends rode to Ruby Falls in Tennessee.My butt was fit to be tied!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2RideFast View Post
What's the farthest you've ever ridden in one day? What kind of bike were you on? Did you have to crawl off the bike and feel like dying or was it okay, comfortwise?

The farthest I have ever ridden in one day would probably have to be close to 500 miles and it was on my 1995 ZX-6. My butt was in pretty bad shape but it wasn't too bad. I've ridden close to that far in one day on the CBR and been much more comfortable. Hopefully, this summer, we'll do a bit of sport touring and I'll be able to put in more time on the bike.

------------------
Stacia - '00 CBR F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

[This message has been edited by Luv2RideFast (edited March 05, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode