03/05/00 How far have you ridden in one day? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 11:49 AM

Cool

The farthest I have ridden in one day was 375 miles which was all back roads and mountain roads which makes for a long joyous day. When I have a full day to ride I usually put in between 175 and 275 miles which is mainly all back roads. I am thinking about doing the saddle sore 1000 at www.ironbutt.com and of course that would be all highway miles. By the way I ride a 98 Katana 750.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 12:09 PM

Red face

I rode from Roswell,NM to Locust Grove,Ga(30 minutes south of Atlanta) in 21 hours last year. Depending on who's map you use that is 1380/1340 miles. I rode my 1999 ZX-9R. I did it with a friend that rode his 840 VFR.
It was the saturday after the final AMA round. We left Roswell at 10:00am est and arrived home at 7:00am the next day. I had a case of "homeitis" and was ready to be home. Elvis wanted to stop when it looked like we were going to get rained on but I won. Tip: ask people coming from where you are headed what the weather is like.
On the way out to Pikes Peak I pulled two 800 mile days back to back. Yes, I now know I took the long way.
As far as recovery, the 1340 day I got in the bed about 8:00 after a hot shower and slept until 3:00 in the afternoon. I went to church that night and to work the next day. I really felt cleansed. After that long on a bike you don't have anything else to think about. I had couple of red spots on my butt(duh).
I ended up riding over 5500 miles on that trip. It was the most awesome ride of my life. I used Vanson leathers, Bridgestone BT-57's(over 8000 miles on the rear,still using the front-it doesn't get as much use), Helibars, Throttlemeister, Ventura bike pack system, Bagman saddlebags, Corbin seat, some kind of gel pad and Protek rearsets.
This year with the new BMW R1100RT, 1500 miles in 24 hours will be a snap!

------------------
It went...Earth Sky Earth Sky Earth Ambulance.
Crusty
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 01:50 PM

damn, i think ive been dethroned.

------------------

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 02:23 PM

Wow! I was planning a 750mile trip for later this spring. At first I was worried about making it, but now I am terrified, If I don't make it I will be a wimp compared to 1340miles in 21hours.

------------------
Colin
2000 Triumph Speed Triple
Roulette Green
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 07:16 AM

Arrow

Phoenix to Albuquerque on my 86 FZ600 (Not that comfy)...Talk about some straight roads, i was wishing i had cruise control! It snowed 2-3 inches after I got there, so i rode the bus home and my roomies dad trailored my bike back 2-3 weeks later.

Wade

------------------
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-10-2000, 05:30 AM

I rode 718 miles from Florida to West Virginia last fall in one day, about 13 hours on a Triumph Speed Triple. Doesn't compare to 1340 miles in 21 hours but can I get some kind of honorable mention for doing it on an unfaired bike?

Actually, I find the bike to be very comfortable and I felt great afterwards.

Lance

------------------
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-12-2000, 04:44 AM

Allentown, Pa to Brunswick, Ga. All of it on the I95

------------------
No matter where you go,
There you are.
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 05:36 PM

437 miles - start in Cheyenne, WY thru rocky mountains to Boulder, CO then back to Cheyenne on some other great rocky mountain roads. Boy do I miss those mountain roads

------------------
Tony Anderson
Blue '99 ZX9R
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 12:52 PM

Longest would be 1,200 miles in two days, from Melbourne FL, to Columbus OH. Scenic route, through the Blueridge Pkwy. Two up on a 93' CBR1000F, in 96'. In that week and a half we put over 3k miles on the bike, and didn't get caught in the rain once. That was a fun trip, but it was very draining. When we left Columbus it was 40 degrees, and in the 90s by time we hit SC. Not a lot of room to stow the gear on a CBR, so we got kinda warm.

------------------
JohnC
00' Hayabusa red/gray
99' Corvette Coupe
98' Ducati ST2
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 02:37 PM

Talking

You are not a wimp if you don't pull long miles on your bike. Everyone has their own limits to push. I really enjoy reeling in the scenery and watching the landscape change. Freaking my friends out is fun too. I can't seem to get anyone to go on trips with me. Duh! I hate to see bikes(non-race) on trailers. I saw several guys headed to Daytona with big comfy touring bikes on trailers. Why bother? I can understand if the event is more than say 750 miles away. All you have to do is do it once and you will be hooked. Just take plenty of time and enjoy yourself. Read the www.ironbutt.com archive of wisdom for tips.

------------------
It went...Earth Sky Earth Sky Earth Ambulance.
Crusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode