Sportbike World banner

07/30/00 - Who's your favorite motorcycle racer?

48K views 139 replies 113 participants last post by  razerparero 
#1 ·
Who is your favorite motorcycle racer and why?

Well, most of you know I love Nicky Hayden! Why? Because he rides a silver/red F4 and an RC51 and he is fun to watch. It blows my mind that such a young kid rides so well. I really enjoy watching him ride. :)

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

#4 ·
my favorite rider is kevin schwantz. i love his never say die, ride on the edge, tell it like it is style.

my favorite active rider is now john hopkins. he's just impressive as hell. i think he'll be on a 500 within 5 years. the kid's awesome. i can't wait to see him get on the superbike a couple of rounds next year.

i also think anthony gobert is incredible (but he's not really active again). too bad he can't seem to keep team owners happy (well team owners who have $ to run a team).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

G
#5 ·
For me, it's a tie, between 748_Abuser and RCJohn. AWESOME racers if there ever were any!

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

#7 ·
Ben Bostrom. Any guy that can back in a big Duc & give Leeann the boot is my hero. Nicky is a close second. The kid can do it all, even with a bad haircut. I don't think John Kosinski will get to many votes.

------------------
"I See Dead People"

#8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luv2RideFast:
Who is your favorite motorcycle racer and why?

Well, most of you know I love Nicky Hayden!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nicky, Who? Sorry I had to! Favorite racer of all time has to be Wayne Rainey, the man was a god on a mototrcycle. Currently racing, well I have ALWAYS been a Koscinski fan. The guy has just been awesome this year in AMA, he just needs a break on the luck. Comes in after the start of the season and he is ninth in the points and has been turning some awesome times. Hey and were from the same state so I gotta root for the homey's.

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"

#9 ·
In GP's I like Kenny Roberts - The guy just has his head on right. He doesn't make mistakes and always finishes in the points.
In WSB I like Noriuka Haga - the guy just rides the wheels off his bikes. When asked what his favorite pastime is he said, "Getting laid." Pure brilliance. If anyone has a copy of the Duke video WSB '99 Review then they know how many times those British announcers screamed - DOWN GOES HAGA! I love it! I like Colin Edwards arrogance and the fact that he rides a Honda. Bostrom is up there - as previously mentioned I sure like the way he backs it into the corners. But really, my favorite racer is me. :D

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

#10 ·
Favorite "old timer" is Giacomo Agostini. The greatest. :)

Favorite retired GP is almost a toss-up between Wayne Rainey and Kevin Swantz. Kevin wins since I have met him and have his autograph. :cool:

Favorite retired AMA guy is without a doubt Jamie James. Wild man. :eek:

Favorite current rider is Eric Bostrom in US and Troy Corser in World Superbike.

Tom Kipp gets honorable mention since he is one of the nicest guys in the paddock and nobody rides the DOT tire like Tom.

BTW Tony, I don't think it is going to be 5 years before Hopkins is on a GP bike. He did an amazing job on the Yamaha GP bike in testing. First time on two-stroke race bike and was within about 2 seconds of factory riders time in just a few laps. I believe the factory rider was Max Biaggi(could have been the team mate Checca(?)). :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

G
#11 ·
Gotta cast my vote for Joey Dunlop, may he rest in peace.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

#12 ·
My all-time favorite is a toss up between Kenny Roberts and Eddie Lawson. My favorite 2 bikes are the KR Yamaha RZ350 and the ELR KZ1000 - old, ZRX 1100 - new.

But, I really like the way Kevin Schwantz rode. He was awesome and I do know from personal experience, too. He has no fear.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

#13 ·
I am! :D OK, OK, I don't race, but if I did it would be me. :cool:

Actually I like Scott Russell, but his attitude sucks. I think he is a great rider, though. Besides, anybody with the balls to race on a Harley is cool in my book. :)

Also, every since I found out Pascal Picotte races a Harley, not to mention his cool helmet, I like him too.

Really though, I don't follow racing too much, although I love watching it. :)

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

#14 ·
In GP's and WSBK, I have to pull for the American boys: Kenny Roberts Jr., Colin Edwards, and Ben Bostrum. I have to say that after watching the last GP race from Sachsenring, Valentino Rossi has a new fan. That kid is unbeilivable!!!!

In AMA, I really don't have a favorite. The most exciting to watch have to be Eric Bostrum and Curtis Roberts, they way they back it into the corners.

RCJohn-If your ever in the Asheville, NC area, Jamie James owns a resturant in the town of Black Mtn. It's called the French Quarter. He has some of his racing things there, and is occasionally there himself. If your in the area, it's worth checking out.

------------------
Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that sportbike riding will cause swelling of the testicles, shrinkage of the brain, and possible severe trauma to the ego.

#15 ·
EDDIE LAWSON!

When I first started riding bikes and following racing, he was the reigning Superbike champion. My Air Force room mate was a fan of his, and he told me to watch Lawson. So I started following him, and he's been my hero ever since.

Dirt track champion, 250 champion, 2-time Superbike champion (on that BEAST of a KZ1000), 4-time World GP500 champion, including back-to-back championships on two different brands of bikes, and he's won 500 GP's on THREE different brands! (I believe he's the only one to do that...)

Then, he went on to win in Indy Lights, and he drove Indy Cars competitively. Now, he's tearing it up on the Kart tracks. The man can flat out ride/drive anything.

Of the current crop of riders, there are plenty of guys I really admire, but there are a few who really stand out in my eyes:

Ben Bostrom, Nicky Hayden, Kenny Roberts, Nori Haga, and one who has amazed me from the first time he stepped onto a GP bike -- Valentino Rossi!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

#16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:

Tom Kipp gets honorable mention since he is one of the nicest guys in the paddock and nobody rides the DOT tire like Tom.

BTW Tony, I don't think it is going to be 5 years before Hopkins is on a GP bike. He did an amazing job on the Yamaha GP bike in testing. First time on two-stroke race bike and was within about 2 seconds of factory riders time in just a few laps. I believe the factory rider was Max Biaggi(could have been the team mate Checca(?)). :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, how could i forget kipp, how fast the mind leaves me. he is awesome. i like pridmore, but i thought kipp should have got that ride at yosh. actually thought ferraci should've kept him too.

as for hopkins, i think rrw said they timed him under 2 seconds off biaggi's time, and that was only after a hand full of laps.

for some reason, i have my doubts about seeing him in europe soon though (esspecially after the whole mike hail thing). but you never know. with the way mccoy and laconni are finishing races, maybe red bull will sign him up soon.

I also like kocinski. all the ama guys are busting his nuts are trashing him for some reason. rapp saying he parked in the corner, kocinski lead into one, how deep was rapp going to go?

mladin and kocinski just don't seem to get along, but imagine that mladin and someone having words, never. kocinski isn't an all time favorite, but i think he got a lot of bad press over things he did went he was much younger.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

#17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:
as for hopkins,

for some reason, i have my doubts about seeing him in europe soon though (especially after the whole mike hail thing). but you never know. with the way mccoy and laconni are finishing races, maybe red bull will sign him up soon.

I also like kocinski. all the ama guys are busting his nuts are trashing him for some reason. rapp saying he parked in the corner, kocinski lead into one, how deep was rapp going to go?

mladin and kocinski just don't seem to get along, but imagine that mladin and someone having words, never. kocinski isn't an all time favorite, but i think he got a lot of bad press over things he did went he was much younger.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony,

I hope you are right about Hopkins. I don't want to see him go over too soon. The Mike Hale thing has made them reluctant over there I think. Also the Wait thing. Wait went to GPs way to early and it has just about ruined his career.

Mladin and Kocinski didn't get along when they were with Cagiva. No one got along with John John back then. I agree also that he has gotten alot of undeserved bad press. Who knows though.

I too think Tom should have gotten a Yosh ride. I kind of wanted to see Kipp back on the Yamaha. I guess a nostalgia thing. ;)

Mad Kaw,

I know about the French Quarter and can't wait to get out there. I do get to Asheville occasionally with Grigg Racing. They are out of Asheville. Jamie actually invited them to his house to watch the Daytona 200 a couple of years ago. That was cool of him. Jamie and Ramona have a new baby also. :)

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by RCjohn (edited August 01, 2000).]

#18 ·
Kenny Roberts Jr! I hope that he pulls it off this year!

Mad Kaw,

Thats funny cause John and I talked about Jamie James restaurant last Friday night when we camped at Deals Gap. A few of us will be riding in NC in Sept and we are thinking about going to the French Quarter for lunch one day.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

#21 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by auger:
Any female racer.eg Angele Seeling(sp?)the 1/4 mile dragracer.I`m sure there are a few in club racing but I`m not sure if there are any pro`s.Good on ya.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

check out http://www.northshoremotorsports.com/

vicky jackson bell is a fast pro, as well as the girl from germany who's in this month's rrw.

john,

i feel bad for matt wait, he'd done some great rides, but it just doesn't seem to stay together for him. i have my doubts about ever seeing him again after this last crash.

------------------
Tony

#22 ·
Angelle is my favorite female drag racer, Kirsty is my favorite female roadracer. ;)

Tony,

You are right about Wait. The injuries really took a toll on him. :( He has a ton of talent. :)

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by RCjohn (edited August 02, 2000).]

#23 ·
All time favorite has to be Miguel Duhamel. He never quites and was even competitive on the Harley. Others include: Nicky Hayden, future superstar, Eric and Ben Bostrom, cool and laid back but really fast, Kiven Schwantz, tough competitor and finally Bubba Shobert, tough and versital.

------------------

#24 ·
Okay, well after seeing the "My Dreamgirl" thread, it's gotta be Katja Poensgen. Ay Chihuahua! I especially like a racer who looks good topless in a lime green thong! :eek: Of course, I would prefer to see her riding red, but you know women! Yes, I'm a pig, but I'm damn proud of it!!!

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

#26 ·
sorry guys matt is an asshole!!

but my favs are:

hayden, kenny roberts, capirossi, bostrom.
of course edwards

all-time fav - duhamaul

definetly funnest to watch - kurtis roberts (who else makes you go holy sh*t on every turn) :D

------------------
Nick
"You meet the nicest people on Hondas"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.