07/30/00 - Who's your favorite motorcycle racer? - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 09:08 PM

Smile

Well I have two- Mick Doohan and Miguel Duhamel. ROADRACING WARRIORS! Both men defying odds with pain and suffering to win HUGE races then getting whisked into surgery's again and again. They have my utmost respect and I grin ear to ear when I say their names.

Mick Doohan- Well he rocks! And also has a lot in common with me in the medical sense. I'll meet the man u wait and see

MIGUEL DUHAMEL- because he has kicked some serious ass over the year's , he rides a Honda and is a nice man to boot. Also, he has been put thru the ringer medical wise and thus has a lot in common with me. He's a roadracing Warrior.

Tiffany

------------------
"It only counts on a racetrack"
See my website: www.sportbikegirl.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 09:10 PM

Smile

*deleted duplicated message on accident*

[This message has been edited by CBRGIRL77 (edited August 09, 2000).]
post #33 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 09:10 PM

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:
EDDIE LAWSON!

When I first started riding bikes and following racing, he was the reigning Superbike champion. My Air Force room mate was a fan of his, and he told me to watch Lawson. So I started following him, and he's been my hero ever since.

Dirt track champion, 250 champion, 2-time Superbike champion (on that BEAST of a KZ1000), 4-time World GP500 champion, including back-to-back championships on two different brands of bikes, and he's won 500 GP's on THREE different brands! (I believe he's the only one to do that...)

Then, he went on to win in Indy Lights, and he drove Indy Cars competitively. Now, he's tearing it up on the Kart tracks. The man can flat out ride/drive anything.

Of the current crop of riders, there are plenty of guys I really admire, but there are a few who really stand out in my eyes:

Ben Bostrom, Nicky Hayden, Kenny Roberts, Nori Haga, and one who has amazed me from the first time he stepped onto a GP bike -- Valentino Rossi!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, Scott, that's word for word what I would say! I think "Steady Eddie" is the best to ever race on two wheels. He proved himself in a field rich with talent (Rainey, Gardner, Schwantz, Spencer, etc.) and beat them all with three different brands of motorcycles. That's rider skill folks. I like Doohan but he really never proved himself like Eddie. Mick stayed on the dominant Honda and never really faced the same talent as Lawson.

Of today's active racers I really like the Hayden brothers, particularly Nicky. He'll be in GP's soon. Valentino Rossi just blows me away. He's the Italian version of Nicky (but three years ahead in his career.) My FAVORITE to watch, however, is Noriyuki Haga. This dude is freakin' wild! He reminds me a little of the old-time bad-boy racers like KR Sr. Here's a recent Haga post-race interview this year (in very broken English):

"Uh, first race was sh*t...but, uh, second race better."

I want him on the podium just so I can see another Haga interview. His riding is incredible too. My jaw hits the floor every time I see him race. Absolutely amazing.

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

post #34 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 10:21 AM

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
RCJohn would have you believe that *he* fits this description.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete, have you seen John's pic in the Exotics forum-he's on the Greenie Weenie He's surely the best racer of all time

------------------
Clark
post #35 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 10:35 AM

Cool

AMA = Go go go Honda!
1) Nicky Hayden = i wish i was that young and that good
2) Miguel Duhamel = he never surrenders, a true racing hero
3) Eric Bostrom = He's the best AMA rider today. He just doesn't have the charisma and the looks of Hayden to attract many fans.

Superbike:
I'm a honda guy, but Yamaha's Noriyuki Haga is my favorite! He's very entertaining to watch, specially his interviews.. hehe. Give him back his 45 points! He deserves to win the championship! Colin Edwards probably threw a party when SBK took away Haga's points.

Isle of Man TT:
Joey Dunlop! He changed the way I think about old riders. You can be old and yet ride reaaaal fast and precise. His RC-51 was literally flying (both wheels on air) over bridges and landing smoothly (both wheels landing almost at the same time, unlike other riders whose handlebars shook violently after jumping).

I was thinking about him when i was reading that post about the "state of no mind." I'm sure he was always in that state of mind whenever he raced. Except of course when he crashed and died.

------------------
A|_|_/\N

[This message has been edited by NJF4 (edited August 10, 2000).]
post #36 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 07:15 PM
Tas

Cool

Has to be Rossior Abe,Haga,E.Bostrum or Hayden!Thats a toughie.
Ok,Rossi it is!!!!!

------------------
post #37 of 140 (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up

Ummmmmm. my favorite rider is whoever is on the Honda in front

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #38 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 08:40 AM

Thumbs up

Waine Rainey gets my vote for sheer dominance in the GP field from 1991-1994.

Given the deplorable machine he was given to ride, the constant re-engineering going on with the bike and the neverending bike testing he was involved in throughout his race schedule, his achievements are even more amazing.

Kevin Schwantz of course was his closest rival, but in the points Rainey walked all over him. Rainey's intimidation of other riders was amazing. Someone trying to "outride" Rainey would soon find themselves in over their heads, likewise someone in front of Rainey would soon loose focus and start to make mistakes, having such a force behind them.

Rainey knew the difference between winning races and winning championships. His rear wheel sliding techniques for cornering were never before used in GP with any success. This factor alone was one of the ingredients that kept him in front. Many racers today have adopted this style.

In AMA i always liked Doug Polen since he was always being attacked and challenged for riding a big V-Twin while everyone else had 750 4's. He really could ride that Duc though and was a very calculating and disciplined racer.

Scott Russell is to be commended for riding a Hog, as is Pascal. That takes "guts" and a passion that alot of racers dont have.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited September 13, 2000).]
post #39 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 03:30 PM

Another vote for Rainey as the favorite of all time. The man has incredible talent.

Of the current crop of riders my faves are Colin Edwards and Kenny Jr. I met them both at Texas World Speedway in 1993. They were hanging together in the pits and allowed me to kibbutz on their conversation for about 15 minutes. Both were very nice and seemed genuinely interested in talking with a fan.

I remember ribbing them about being friends instead of rivals. When I mentioned that competing Forumla One racers would never hang out together in the pits Edwards shrugged his shoulders and said "That's why we don't race cars."

Roberts Jr. seconded the idea with "Yeah, Formula One racers are jerks."

(Note: This are not exact quotes. But it gets the idea across well enough.)

Here's hoping they pull off the double and both win world championships this year.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn
post #40 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 11:14 AM

Thumbs up

Hey, Green, I forgot to mention Rainey in my first post (I still like Eddie best though.) He's definitely up there on my list too. What rear sliding technique are you talking about? Do you mean backing it into the corner or sliding the rear on exit? If it's the latter, you can thank King Kenny Roberts for pioneering that one. What about Freddie Spencer's technique of sliding both(!) tires into the corner, letting the front hook up as you gas it, and sliding the rear on the exit? That was great to watch!

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode