08/06/00 - Group riding vs. riding alone. - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 10:15 AM

Talking

I like to ride alone most of the time. I think my bike is the perfect escape from everything. No phone, no radio, and no backseat drivers.

Maybe I like riding alone because I have done very little group riding. Perhaps if I found the right group it could be a lot of fun.

------------------
John E. Dawson
'87 Ninja 600R
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 02:39 PM

I like group rides, as long as the group is riding sensible. Now don't get me wrong, I love hauling arse, but not all of the time. Some rides should be sensible. Riding with other people is a blast. I would much rather ride with people than by myself.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 05:13 PM

I would say 90% is by myself. On occasion my wife will be a pillion; more often my son will ride passenger with me. But I have been riding alone most of the time. There is a group that rides around here; a good mix of sportbikes and others. Trouble is they usually ride long distances and/or full weekend days. I have the family to take care of and my priority is them, so I rarely see them either.

Got to agree about the cruiser groups. If you don't ride a cruiser they don't seem to see you. Now is the group ride season on Long Island. Most are Harley or metric cruiser runs. Not many sportbikes at all.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
Moderator, ZR-Riders Mailing List

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 12:39 PM

Solo, 99%.
Sunday evening rides around Lake Tahoe put everything right in the world.

Midweek is usually an escape from the office into town. Too many unpredictable riders, so I choose to stay solo. Squids go fast 'n foolish, cruisers don't like mountain roads.

Ride in peace.
Kevin

------------------
Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:41 AM

Exclamation

I like riding with a group... safty in numbers! When alone I try NOT to go on any highways... to many crazy people driving cars these days, some shouldn't have a license!

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited August 27, 2000).]
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:30 PM

I ride about 90% of the time alone. I prefer riding with friends, though. I have a good groupr to ride with: three other guys, a '99R1, '98 ZX-7, and a '00 Gixxer 750. They are great guys, and we have ridden together enough that we can predict each others' moves. We ride pretty fast, but none of us ever does anything reckless (the guy on the Gixxer does a bad pass on a car now and again, but the rest of us never follow, so I think he is getting the message, and learning the difference between a good, and bad, pass), as we are all in out early 30s, and somewhat responsible individuals.

------------------
Rossco.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 04:54 PM

G'day all,
90% of the time I ride alone and take the consequences of my conduct as a result, if I ride slow ( and this is purely personal ) I tend to not pay the attention as I should to my riding and surrounding traffic and this can be deadly! ( funny my 9 doesn't handle like my dirt bike in the rough ).

On the small number of times I have ridden in a group I prefer to stay at the back and let them go rather than get tangled up in someone elses insanity to race me at every turn.

Wish my wife would come with me some times but her ride has legs and 4 at that her reluctance could also have something to do with she knows me to well.

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 05:06 PM

Talking I go Both Ways!!

There are points to each. I like to get away on my own and blast to Payson every so often, but taking along a bunch of friends lightens up the day. A couple other people have pointed out the benefits of a nice sized familiar group. My crew of choice knows my lines and abilities so we dice a little and enjoy every last corner. The best part about having a group is your visible to cars.

Don't crash, cuz that fun group turns into witnesses.... :angry:
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 05:35 PM

Post the key

I think the key to a successful group ride is know who your riding with. I've been in groups where I was very uncomfortable because of the squid-like activities occuring all around me, but I've been in groups where we all knew eachother and it was a blast. Solo is a nice reliever from everyday crap...But my favorite is when my best friend and I get out our bikes and just cruise around all day.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 02:58 AM

I prefer to ride with one other rider in a loose formation. Prefer someone with similar ability for conditions. Reason: If I loose it and go off a cliff I want someone to know where I am and can get help. I do not mind pairing up with others (same 2 rider groups, 3 groups of 2) for maybe 6 total. Anything more is a cluster ..ck.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode