Is it safe listening to music when you're riding??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Is it safe listening to music when you're riding???

Is it safe listening to music when you're riding??? Sometimes I can barely hear something with my helmet on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:14 PM

personally i think listening to music can distract you from fully concentrating on the road. with that said, i see a few people still ride while listening to mp3s, and I would also consider doing so if I have to do long road trips that will take over 2 hours. also as a suggestions, you might want to keep one ear open to listen to traffic. I think its also illegal here to keep both ears preoccupied to music and other distractions.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the advice, I'll keep that in mind

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:31 PM

If I'm gonna be riding hard, I don't listen to music. But if I'm going on a medium paced ride or am gonna be on the highway for a decent amount of time, I use my mp3 player. Unless you blast it, it doesn't affect what you can hear more then wearing earplugs does.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Re: Is it safe listening to music when you're riding???

Quote:
Originally posted by drako75
Sometimes I can barely hear something with my helmet on

Damn dude, what helmet do you use? I need to pick that one up. I hear EVERYTHING with my helmet on, including 135dB of wind noise, which deafens me after a 20 minute ride if I dont wear ear plugs.

Anyway, I picked up a set of earplug headphones so I can use a 2-way radio when riding with others, or listen to the mp3 player sometimes while riding alone. If you are reasonable with the volume, it doesnt distract you or draw your attention away from anything.

on a side note... doesnt anyone search for anything?? good god...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Is it safe listening to music when you're riding???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZX6R1033
[B]Damn dude, what helmet do you use? I need to pick that one up. I hear EVERYTHING with my helmet on, including 135dB of wind noise, which deafens me after a 20 minute ride if I dont wear ear plugs.

It's a UVEX helmet. I think it's german. I'm gonna try to find more info about it
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 PM

It's not even legal here in Nevada. Are you just using regular headphones and slipping them under your helmet?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

I listen to my mp3 if i am out for a hour or more and not to loud just enough to jam to. I can hear everything normally the same with them in my ears. I have the Icon Mainframe Helmet and love it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
i dont even think its legal to drive a car and listen to earphones. i did it a couple of times back in the day on my bike. i found it distracting and i couldnt hear things that i needed to like i should. or maybe i just had the volume to loud?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:34 PM

I have had tunes in my helmet speakers for 8+ years. I figgure about 70k miles.

You can't hear much anyway with a helmet on, might as well enjoy yourself. At a resonable volume, of course.

My first helmet speaker mod I tore apart some koss earphones I got at best buy and velcroed em inside my helmet (HJC Symax). Never looked back since.

The law where I live, as I interperted, is you can't have anything in your ears (which oddly seems to include earplugs) and thats it. So helmet speakers seem to be ok. Honestly, I concentrate on riding so much I barely hear my tunes.

I digress. Its not safe. Maybe someday I'll die in a firey crash because I was listening to fungus 53 on XM. In that case I stand corrected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode