Another great trivia.
It is a Simson 250 cc. four stroke engine (placed longitudinally), 4-speeds gearbox with final shaft drive.
Click here for link.
Founded in the city of Suhl in the second half of the '800 by Löb and Moses Simson as weapon factory, the Simson starts the motorcycle production in the 1934, with the "BSW" brand ("Berlin-Suhler Waffen", that means "Berlin-Suhler Weapon Factory"). One of the produced models was the BSW 100, classic two-stroke, in the first pic above. During the Nazism, the Simson family, of Jewish origin, was persecuted and forced to leave the country, while Hitler made the factory as one of the main center of weapon production. With the fall of the Nazist regime, the Simson was one of the German factories (besides other plants of DKW, BMW etc.) under the Soviet control. Therefore, several cars and bikes in the DDR were simply pre-war models of West-German brands (as well for the Trabant, Wartburg and MZ), and this situation involved also the Simson. In the second and third pics above, there is the first version of the AWO-Simson "425", substantially a pre-war single-cylinder BMW. This bike had all the features of the BMW model: 250 cc. four stroke engine (placed longitudinally), 4-speeds gearbox with final shaft drive.
Last edited by Andy; 03-03-2003 at 03:22 PM.