what mc is it? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:35 AM
Retired Moderator

Lt Gustl it seems that the first post gives the answer...
Shame because it's a very good trivia.
I would say it looks like a special based on a Suzuki RG500 or Yamaha RD500 if I didn't know

Aris
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:40 AM

what mc is it?

What motorcycle is this? I will post a clue if no one gets it after a couple days,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:44 AM

picture
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:35 PM

I guess I should have remembered it being in a popular mag that I am subscribed to less than a year ago, although even then I wouldn't expect a quick answer, very good!!

I would not have known what it is either, had I not already knew it, twin crank engines are my favorite, I don't know why.

Oh, and for all you smart guys

see if you can answer the question I have in the Honda forum, https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...threadid=28612

"Why did honda have 18 inch rear wheels on some of it's racers, is there any advantage to using a larger diameter rear wheel? Does it help tire life or turning, or rotating inertia or something, what was hondas intent?

I have been trying to find information on this but haven't been able to. I am also curious about them reversing the crank rotation on the v fours and what the motivation was."

all I have gotten so far is complaints about difficulty in getting tires, which anyone without 17 inch wheels know too well.

Last edited by Lt.Gustl; 10-18-2002 at 02:54 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 04:19 AM

hey lt. gust, I have no idea the answers to your questions, but I can offer theories or thoughts that I can think of.

first the 18 inch tire. I know they didn't last to long, my thinking is maybe they did this to change the rotational mass, rims are light and gobbs of rubber are heavy. so if they use an 18 inch rim and a lower profile tire wouldn't it decrease the rotational mass? if I'm wrong tell me, but when I look at pictures of guys racing my bike back then they don't look like they are leaning into the corners much, it looks like they are more concerned with the upcoming staights then the twisties, remember these are just thoughts.

ok as far as the v-4 goes, well there are several things I can think of, the first is better performance, see many engines are designed to run at peak efficency, not peak power, I have seen on several car engines before that if they add new cams and reverse the rotation they can get as much as an additional 15-25% power, but the cost is very high, on a bike it would be cheaper. my second thought would be maybe they wanted to move the running gear to the other side of the bike for better wieght distribution or to make clearence for an exhaust or something, what do you think?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 05:28 AM

well gust was I right, just curious
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:19 PM

unfortunately I don't know the answer myself, I may have to ask Honda racing themselves, since I am pretty curious. but when I do find out it will be it's own trivia,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 08:44 AM

Regarding the 18" rear tire question. One thing I can think of is they were trying to reduce "lock-up".

16" front tires were also used but tended to "lock-up" more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode