Honda RC211V - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator

Honda RC211V

What is the most interesting design feature of the Honda RC211V regarding the frame and suspension ?

Aris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:22 PM

What amazes me is how small they've made that bike. Even Rossi complained about it, and he's not exactly Mr. Big !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rossi.jpg (51.1 KB, 85 views)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
What amazes me is how small they've made that bike. Even Rossi complained about it, and he's not exactly Mr. Big !!
You re right about it being too small Smeg. Actually it's much smaller than the NSR500!
You re wrong about Vale though. He is Mr Big! If you don't believe me ask Amber (BTW what happened to her? )

No really, Valentino is 1.80 m high which makes him the tallest active GP rider. Only Kevin Schwanz was as tall as him as far as I know. This is why they have similar riding style also (Kevin said that in an interview), because a tall rider has problem tucking in, plus the long legs are a problem.
He asked Honda for a bigger screen as he couldn't fit behind the original one and was loosing speed on the straights and they made it immediately!

Anyway, all this has nothing to do with the question :

The question is about a unique characteristic that hasn't appeared on a bike before (as far as I know )
It's a great idea and also so simple that I think we 'll see it soon on 'our' bikes.

hint: It has to do with the suspension-frame interface.

Aris

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:03 AM

I'd better win a prize for this one !!

The frame is twin spar alloy but Honda hasn't bolted the swingarm pivot through the crankcases. They're keeping the frame/swingarm assembly apart from the engine and instead of the shock bolting to the frame at the top, the body and compression bottle are captive to the swingarm.
Loads are transmitted through (2) tie rods bolted beneath the swingarm pivot, reducing unspring weight and friction losses.

This is a unique and simple design and no-ones thought of it before. The big H strikes again !!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator

Quote:
They're keeping the frame/swingarm assembly apart from the engine and instead of the shock bolting to the frame at the top, the body and compression bottle are captive to the swingarm.
Loads are transmitted through (2) tie rods bolted beneath the swingarm pivot, reducing unspring weight and friction losses.

This is a unique and simple design and no-ones thought of it before. The big H strikes again !!
Hey Smeg! You win!!!

It's a really cool idea isn't it? The loads from the shock are not transmited to the frame at all like that. The swingarm takes care of the loads itself!

I was hoping that this question would last longer, but you got it really fast! It seems you re studying hard during the night

You win a LARGE bottle of OUZO (brand of my choice as I'm the expert on this) whenever you come to Greece!!
The offer is valid even if you don't come riding your bike

Aris
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ariszr7

You win a LARGE bottle of OUZO (brand of my choice as I'm the expert on this) whenever you come to Greece!!
Aris
Ship it to Ibiza in July, that's as close as I'll get next year !!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 04:30 AM
Pete

Small...

The latest issue of Sport Rider shows Freddie Spencer aboard the the RC211V, and you'd swear he was on a YSR50. Just imagine what Ruben Xaus would look like on it!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator

Quote:

Ship it to Ibiza in July, that's as close as I'll get next year !!
Ibiza is crap and full of gays, any Greek Island beats it by far

But I'm Greek, so what would I say

I'll just have to wait then. Don't take too long or I'll drink the bottle myself, and anotherone, and anotherone, just like the other one

Aris
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ariszr7

Ibiza is crap and full of gays
Is this true, ducky ?!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode