11/13/01 - Is Harley V-Rod a sportbike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Arrow 11/13/01 - Is Harley V-Rod a sportbike?

Do you consider the Harley V-Rod to be a sportbike?

This question was suggested by Grok. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nope, I don't think it's a sportbike but a viable cruiser by today's cruiser standards. Nice to see HD create something new for a change. From what I hear, problem is that most hardcore Harley fanatics don't like them, but that's par for the course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 09:59 AM

I never really ever considered owning a hog, but the new bike is really a noce looking bike. They are building them here in KC so I hope to take a spin on one sooner or later. I think it will help the sales of the younger folks that want a harley. One thing that gets on my nerves is when people say 'they just turned to the Japanese for help, that's all'. I wasn't aware that Porche was Japanese.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't consider the V-Rod a sportbike but as far as cruisers go it is pretty cool. I still would not own one though. If I wanted a cruiser I could get more bike for less money from either Honda or Yamaha. I hear that Yamaha overhauled one of their cruisers so that it rides more like a sportbike and added more power. I was in drooling over an R6 and the sale guy was saying how great it was suposed to be (he has cruisers).

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 10:43 AM
Dad

A local newspaper reporter/biker had one for a review. I kinda' like it BUT... it has forward controls with no apparent way to move them back under you because the exhaust is in the way. It's a shame because it appears to have promise otherwise. It put out over 100 horse at the rear on a local dyno (I think it was 107, might have even been 115, but don't remember for sure). A lot of unique, nice, finishing touches. Those who rode it complained of the peg placement but said it really goes!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 11-14-2001 at 03:52 AM.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 02:46 PM

Sportbike? No way. But I can hardly wait to see what Eric Buell can do around that motor.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 01:49 AM
elo

Talking

Nope. Not a sportbike. But if it runs well and doesn't act like a Harley, it's a pretty cool bike!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 05:00 AM

Definitely not...

Definitely not a sportbike. Too much rake, too long of a wheelbase, too heavy, and forward peg placement. However, it is definitely the sportiest a cruiser has been built as of yet. Seems to be very well tested 'n tried.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 05:03 AM

NO
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 08:17 AM

NO
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 08:36 AM

Lightbulb NO

I think a quote in Cycle World said it best..."Harley has finally jumped ahead to 1985"

CBRrider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode