11/13/01 - Is Harley V-Rod a sportbike? - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 04:01 PM

I think it defines a new class, as a sport touring bike is a cross, I think the Vrod is possibly the first sport cruiser..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 04:36 PM

Thumbs down No way!

It's just a plain old cruiser and it's still a Harley.

CBRrider was right on in quoting Cycle World: "Harley has finally jumped ahead to 1985."

But I own a Buell so what do I know??? I would like to squeeze that power plant into my Firebolt and see what happens. Erik Buell, are you listening??

Grok - some grammar checking would be nice.

DAG0916 - STOP SHOUTING!!

Last edited by XB9er; 09-30-2002 at 04:41 PM.
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by photobug
Sportbike? No way. But I can hardly wait to see what Eric Buell can do around that motor.
Definitely not a sportbike, and I think the motor is too heavy for Eric Buell to do anything worthwile with it.

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 11:11 AM

Dude, no offense but you seem to like going fast. And you ride a Buell? That doesn't compute man Buell's are made for rednecks that want a sportbike but do not want to be disgraced by buying rice rockets. That's why there never on the track, and if somewhere in the world they are there non competitive. Example the VR1000 what a joke. Give up the short tank, and buy something with performance. If you need to be different or waste lots of money try a MV Agusta at least you would be the envy of all the kids on the block. If you want performance to dollar you want a SUZUKI GSXR1000 (R1Killa)

Didn't mean to offend you just your brand.
Chris
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 11:40 AM

The V Rod is definately not a sport bike but I still give Harley credit for coming up with something unique!

Calling it a sport/cruiser is a good start!

Did anyone see the Discovery channel special on building the V Rod? Harley spent 5 years building and testing this thing! It is a strong machine that will last forever (unlike some of the other Harley's) Harley Davidson did thousands of miles of bump strip tests, gruelling heat tests in the desert and just about any other test you can dream up!

I just test rode a Firebolt. I must say that this bike is quality made and HD definately was paying attention to detail on this machine. Too bad they didn't put some more Horsepower under the tank on it! It is a great bike if your looking for something a little different and if your not interested in getting pulled over for speeding and spending a day or so in Jail !

Overall I will still stick with Honda Products! I luv my F4 but I do give credit to Harley for trying some new things!!
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:01 AM

The facts are in

Now that I has been out a while some misconceptions can be cleared up. Three magazines have dyno tested the V-Rod and gotten around 108-109hp at the rear wheel, which is about as good as any other modern v-twin. The engine, by the way, is a 60 degree design, like the Aprilia. I have ridden it. It is very smooth, with rubber mounts AND counterbalancers. And the controls feel very refined. The riding position sucks in my opinion. I am far too used to the Cafe Racer crouch. So far, except for the recall mentioned above, which was brief and applied to only a few bikes, most of which hadn't been sold yet, they have been reliable.

They are not by any definition a sport bike. However, rumor has been rife about a naked bike version with better suspension, an upright riding position, and possibly more power. This is the one I have been waiting for. The current version is not selling as well as hoped. The first ones out the gate sold for huge markups, but events have proven those buyers were hasty. Production is already meeting demand, they are starting to sit on showroom floors, and most are now selling for list, which is just under $18,000 this year.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:01 AM

You've GOT to be kidding.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 08:11 AM

Nope. But it is some of the best 1970's tech you can buy...
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 06:38 PM

Arrow Oh Come On!!!!

Hey Its a sportbike....just ask the salespeople at Wisconsin Harley-Davidson in Oconomowoc, WI. One salesman told me it will hang EVEN WITH a Hayabusa 0-60 or to 140 mph in a straight line. I was further assured by an engineer who partook in the design of the V-clod right here in Milwaukee......hey I heard it from credible sources
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 03:28 PM

Not a sportbike. It's one of the new class they've dubbed "power cruiser".
I rode one back in August at the local H-D/ Buell test rides right after the Fat Boy. It's pretty quick, although it was kinda hard to really wring it out when I was stuck in the middle of a pack of average Harleys. I couldn't find the footpegs very easily and it was not comfortable at all. My back and tailbone were aching after only 20 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode