11/13/01 - Is Harley V-Rod a sportbike? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 06:56 PM

no, id have to say

its more of a boat anchor....along the same lines as the vr1000..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 08:52 AM

NO! The Pee-Rod is not a sportbike, however, it is a major step forward for HD.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 08:20 PM

The V-Rod is as much sportbike as my R1 is a cruiser......

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
No, I repeat, no, absolutely not, I cannot imagine any Harley being in the same class as my Ninja. Sorry, close but no cigar.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 08:54 PM

hell no
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:04 PM

Talking

Dunlop D207's don't make the V-Rod a sportbike. But try explaining the difference to some of the idiots I work with. In their mind if it doesn't have apehangers it's not a cruiser.

I like the way it looks. I would never own it. Too expensive & already subject to a recall (engines not producing stated power) If I ever wanted to sellout and buy a cruiser I'd buy a Yamaha V-Max. Came out in the mid 80's and has yet to be matched
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:13 PM

my nieghbors friend got one and i got to ride it and that thing hauled @$$
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:06 PM

nope there is no way it is a sport bike. power cruiser yes. I dont like the design very much put i think the engine is pretty impressive, but i was a bit disapointed at the numbers it was putting out. I would consider one if they had the engine puting some wear around 140 horse power and maybye get rid of the 45degree and went with a 60 and sold it for what it is really worth. $13,000.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:39 PM

Cool V-ROD

NOW, I HAVE ACTUALLY OWNED A COUPLE OF HARLEYS BEFORE SO I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT THEM. BUT, NO THE V-ROD IS NOT A SPORTBIKE , ITS A NEW CLASS OF BIKE CALLED THE POWER CRUISER, TRUE, THE HONDA VTX, THE V-ROD,YAMAHA WARRIOR STAR, AND THE KAWIE MEAN STREAK ARE ALL APART OF IT. THEY EVEN CREATED A DRAG RACING LEAGUE JUST FOR THE POWER CRUISERS!!! DAGO
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:44 PM

V-Rod is not classified as a 'Sportbike', that 19inch tire in the front will do little good in the twisties..

It is not heavy it has a dry weight of 595 lbs, my ZX11 has a wet weight of 600 lbs..

115 bhp at the crankshaft would hardly equal 100rwhp on the dyno. My ZX11 loses around 17 hp through the powertrain and I doubt the V-Rod does any better..

mile 11.9 @ 112 mph is what Harley is claiming for the V-Rod, that doesnt equal fast in my book. Any new 600cc (or bigger) sportbike will beat it..

The bike is geared for a topspeed of 140mph, my ZX11 will top out at 175+. For comparison sake if I were to change my gearing on the ZX so that my topspeed was 140 my mile times would probably be in the mid 9 second range..

11.5 inches of front brake is not enough to stop a 600 pound bike as fast as you might need to IMO, they got a friggin 19inch wheel up front put some giant rotors on that sucker!

If motorcycles were airplanes a harley would be more like a an old fashioned Bi-plane and the sportbikes would be more like modern fighter jets IMO, some prefer the nostalgia and some live in the now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode