11/06/01 - Do you wear earplugs? - Page 6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 03:29 PM

yep

I use foam plugs it's over a 100 decibels at speed and I can hear my engine..........allot more comfortable specially on long rides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

I FIND ON LONG HAULS IF I DON'T WEAR THEM I GET A MASSIVE HEADACHE AND EMPTYNESS FEELING FROM THE WIND HOWLING THROUGH AND AROUND MY HELMET, IT JUST MAKES THE RIDE MORE COMFORTABLE.
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 06:27 PM

I minimize distractions for safety. Yes, I wear earplugs, if I am going on a highway, but not on short rides or rides at less than 50 mph.

I do not wear them, however, on my "non-sportbikes", because they have windshields tall enough to cut the wind around most of my helmet, and they have quiet mufflers.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 04:59 PM

Well been through all six pages and its a mixed bag, personally I never ride without plugs and never have, I wear an AGV Q3 Pro helmet that fits like a Bum in a Bucket and is amongst the quietest on the market.

Noise levels are measured in db A weighted measurement and the WorkCover Authority in Australia declares that a maximum of 85db A is allowable in the work place, a reading of 88db is Twice the sound level of 85db.

So 85db would be someone in your face talking reasonably loud now unless your pissed at a party with music you would soon get jacked off with this, a motor bike at 100kmh generates a noise level of around 100+ db this equates to around Five times the level of 85db.

With this on a consistent basis your hearing is degraded Permanently remember the buzzing in your ears that sometimes you have for a while after playing loud music and might take a day or two to go away, this condition on a permenant basis is called "Tintanitus"

I have lived with this for a number of years now and for sufferers their is no such thing as Silence anywhere any more, so take the time and try all the different plugs on the market till you find one that suits you a little discomfort now is worth the avoiding the long term misery.

But this is just my slant to each his own.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 05:22 PM

I wear them, but whereas when I first started riding, I used to buy the most protective ones I could find (30 dB+), now I prefer ones that block between 23-28 dB -- I realized that totally blocking out the noise of other cars was not safe, and that the majority of the noise distraction/pain I was experiencing came from the howling of the wind accross the opening of my ear. Just having it plugged takes away this problem.
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 05:32 PM

Well been through all six pages and its a mixed bag, personally I never ride without plugs and never have, I wear an AGV Q3 Pro helmet that fits like a Bum in a Bucket and is amongst the quietest on the market.

Noise levels are measured in db A weighted measurement and the WorkCover Authority in Australia declares that a maximum of 85db A is allowable in the work place, a reading of 88db is Twice the sound level of 85db.

So 85db would be someone in your face talking reasonably loud now unless your pissed at a party with music you would soon get jacked off with this, a motor bike at 100kmh generates a noise level of around 100+ db this equates to around Five times the level of 85db.

With this on a consistent basis your hearing is degraded Permanently remember the buzzing in your ears that sometimes you have for a while after playing loud music and might take a day or two to go away, this condition on a permenant basis is called "Tintanitus"

I have lived with this for a number of years now and for sufferers their is no such thing as Silence anywhere any more, so take the time and try all the different plugs on the market till you find one that suits you a little discomfort now is worth the avoiding the long term misery.

But this is just my slant to each his own.
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 06:06 PM

Garry, I appreciate your honesty and giving us some real facts about hearing loss from a personal perspective. Earplugs are the way to go.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:25 PM

Earplugs

Having played bass in a rock band for many years I learned quickly the importance of earplugs(huh?) People think they reduce hearing so much that you can't hear horns sirens etc. If you've ever taken earplugs to a big name arena rock show you learn that suddenly you can hear the vocals and subtle parts like they were recorded in the studio. When you are dealing with 110-120 dbs EXTENDED ( earplugs reduce 25-30 db) exposure it makes a big difference. Go buy some and try it! When you get used to the loss of wind noise (regardless of brand of helmet) you will come to appreciate how serene it is with noise protection.
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 11:17 AM

Smile

No. I have a good helmet that filters out a lot of the noise. Shoei RF900.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 03:57 AM

Most of the time. Always on the track though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode