11/06/01 - Do you wear earplugs? - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:11 PM

ALWAYS!
I am an audio tech so if I lose my hearing, I lose my career. Not worth it to me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:58 PM

Deaf

I am seriously going deaf from music and shooting so I wear them now. It makes the ride less punishing. However, the con is that you can not hear the other idiot behind you in the huge SUV about to run you over.
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:24 AM

I always wear my ear plugs, I use the little yellow foam one that you roll up the stick in your ears. some guys I race with have gone to the custom molded earplugs. Allot of people say "I want to be able to hear my bike". Try using ear plugs and you will beable to decyfer what you are hearing. On the track I can tell wether it is a twin or an in-line type engine behind me. The people that don't wear helmets say that "I don't like helmets because I want to beable to see". ya sure just my 2cents

post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:48 PM

I never could when I was racing, I felt unbalanced, it was ver uncomfortable.

On the street I always wear them now and don't bother me a bit.
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:17 AM

Huh! What! Speak up damn it!

Been riding without earplugs since 1970. Can't hear a damn thing now. I have permanent mid range hearing loss, thats where you hear most speech, from not wearing protection while riding with loud exhaust and from the workplace. I now wear plugs while riding long distances.

EYEBALL
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 02:51 PM

earplugs

I always wear earplugs. Now that Im used to them, not having them spoils the ride. Its much more pleasant to ride without the wind noise and as others in this thread have stated I can actually hear more, except perhaps at speeds under 30 MPH. I read that report from Europe about motorcyclist's hearing loss mentioned in an earlier post. The facts are in. If you ride a lot without plugs you damage your hearing.
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:27 PM

I don't wear 'em. However, on long rides i tend to wear earphones (the kind that fit in the ear) to listen to my walkman. Since the wind and engine noise is so high, i crank up the volume on the walkman. This I'm sure is even worse than the wind/engine noise. Any thoughts? Am i the only one listening to Rob Zombie (great inspirational music) while riding?
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebola6
...on long rides i tend to wear earphones (the kind that fit in the ear) to listen to my walkman. Since the wind and engine noise is so high, i crank up the volume on the walkman. Any thoughts?
I also used to listen to a Walkman on my Concours (usually listen to the pipe on the 6R). I'd say try your ear speakers while off and see if they help muffle noise (mine did). If so, you should be OK as long as you don't crank the music up. If your ear speakers don't muffle sounds, and you're just cranking the music up to overcome the exterior noise, you're accomplishing squat ('cept contributing to hearing loss).You might try Radio Shack for some of the foam covers to fit over your earbuds if they don't come with 'em.

I'm no hearing loss expert...I just play one on the 'Net! I've worked in a tire factory (very noisy) for over 25 years, and have worn earplugs almost the entire time, even before it was 'fashionable' (years ago, I actually caught grief from management morons for wearing 'em)! OSHA now requires we be given a hearing test every year, and so far I've show no appreciable loss over the years.
Must be doing something right...
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:08 PM

I'll have to go along with Robert on this one

Streetbikes is a No No
But on the track it doesn't bother me...
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:43 PM

Earplugs

I'm a physician, but I don't know much about audiology.

As I seem to remember from my uni days, ears can only stand about 80db of noise daily continuosly for about half an hour - anything over and above leads to some degree of ear damage. I THINK this would be about the equivalent of riding at about 80k per hour for half an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode