11/06/01 - Do you wear earplugs? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 08:38 AM

I don't wear them as often as I should. Like most of the others, I always try to remember them when taking a long ride, and always wear them on the track.

The following is a guidline recommended by medical professionals:

100 decibels- limit unprotected exposure to 2 hours a day.
115 decibels- limit unprotected exposure to 15 minutes a day.
140 decibels (gun muzzle blast, jet engine Noise causes pain and even brief exposure injures unprotected ears.

Exposure to noise levels above 85 decibels for extended periods will cause hearing loss. With an aftermarket exhaust and combined windnoise, most riders are probably subjecting themselves to around 130 decibels.

Some people react to loud noise with anxiety and irritability, an increase in pulse rate and blood pressure, or an increase in stomach acid. If you do wear your earplugs for a long ride, I can guarantee you'll feel a lot less fatigued at the end of the day.

It's your hearing, so do what you want.
I SAID, IT'S YOUR HEARING, SO DO WHAT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 08:39 AM

I nearly always wear ear plugs , A nesesity on long runs as they cut down wind noise and exhaust noise as well. I am already partially deaf in one ear and dont want go totally deaf!! The ones i wear are fairly comfortable as they are shaped well to fit the ear.
They do not cut all the noise so you are still aware of things happening around you, ie you can hear some one blasting the horn and such like. I did have some that cut out pretty much all noise but they were not so comfortable and i did not like not being able to hear anything at all.
Try different types and you will find something that you will like. But i suppose it is a bit like bikes eveyone has different opinions and taste . I mean you couldnt expect everyone to have a Suzuki
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 09:41 AM

I agree with Smeghead. I have found that when I wear earplugs I am more aware of the "important" sounds around me since they are not being drown out by the wind and engine noise. Plus I like being able to get off the bike and not have a ringing in my ears.

post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 10:40 AM
elo

Arrow

I wore earplugs for the first time on a ride two weeks ago. Honestly, I didn't like them at all. At first they really did cut down on white noise, but after about 45 minutes, I didn't feel like I could hear anything. I kept yawning thinking my ears needed to pop, no luck.

If wind noise really is damaging to the ears, then I will probably wear them on more long rides. I probably will never wear them around town.
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elodello
I probably will never wear them around town.
We're still talking about earplugs, right ?
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 11:27 AM

Cool

Damn Pete, this is the question you've been crawling up Stacia's a&& about? Sheesh!

When I'm on the dirt bike I always wear ear plugs (helps keep the mud from dripping in ). Borrowing (rarely) my friend's Hurricane I always wear them. Riding on the back with a friend, if it's a long trip yes, just in town no.
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 12:54 PM

On my Concours (Rifle screen/2" below eye level/Arai Signet Helmet)
Almost never (hey, it's darn quiet behind that Rifle)

ZX-6R (V&H S4 Titanium slip-on/Arai Quantum E Helmet) around town/backroads
Almost never (damn...THAT PIPE!)

ZX-6R on the highway
Always (DAMN that pipe!)
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 01:45 PM

Ear Plugs

Sure do. I've got one noisy Arai. Over the winter I'm going to have a fitted pair made.

Thunderheart
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 04:09 PM

I almost always wear earplugs when I ride, regardless of the duration or location, because a quick across town trip could turn into.....who knows?!? I've been working around aircraft since 1990, so I'm definitely used to wearing them. I also agree with Smeghead, they tend to drown out the unwanted noises and highten my awareness.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 01:21 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by devils playmate
question:
why should one wear earplugs while riding??
id much rather hear whats going on around me....

i think a helmet alone blocks out most of the sound anyway..

so Pete, im curious as to why this would be recommended...
I know that several people have already given excellent answers to this question, but I'd like to re-emphasize what Paul said about fatigue, which is what sold me on their use. I had never worn plugs until recently, but knew, for the sake of my already diminished hearing (years of shooting firearms w/o hearing protection), that I should be. The very first thing I noticed after a 350 mile ride was the lack of fatigue when I got home. Normally, I am pretty wiped out, but I felt damn near as good as I did before the ride. I was amazed. Also, it usually took a couple of hours before my hearing returned to normal; not anymore. Yes, there is a bit of discomfort, but you get used to it. IMO, the benefits are well worth it. I also agree with the heightening of your "peripheral" senses. Without the irritation of wind noise, I am able to better concentrate on "what's going on around me."

Just my experience and opinion, take from it what you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode