Sportbike World banner

Is this possible on a sportbike?

5K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  killershroom 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a bike in the next few months, hopefully before the end of December. I was hoping to be able to take this bike on a long ride for spring break to Florida from Texas.

Heres a route thats pretty close to the one I will be taking.

http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-route/usr=~3f0a2a5f.6e5e0.15b9.6/c=2/formName=drawroutemap

My question is, is it possible for me to drive this in one day on a 600cc sportbike like an F4i or similar? Have any of yall done 1,000+ straight miles? I know I can do this in my car, but just not sure if its possible with a bike.

#2 ·
1000 miles in one day on any super sport is pushing it. I personally dont know if I could take the wind, seating, and energy you need to have to ride a sport bike long enough to last 1000 miles.

......2 days is doable though! (whats one night at a holiday in?)

#4 ·
yeah it can be done. I know a few guys that punched over 1000 miles in the saddel for a few days in a row (crossed CAnada from coast to coast ). Most I have done was 700. but I whould had no prob going the extra three. If most of it is highway then you are laughin..... your ass will be sore but it can be done . next summer I am headin to Black bike week from here in Newfoundland ( canada) I will have to punch about 12-1400 miles per day . think I might get a gell seat for that run. best of luck.

#5 ·
sounds like a good ride.....

1000+ miles might be pushing it.... I've done it but only cause I had too. I would have rather taken the time over 2 days. Best bet would be to find a half way spot the look for those $25 a night motels that are all over the exits on I-10...

NEKO's right, you've gonna be up for that kinda ride too. Doing a 1000+ miles a day in a cage is VERY EASY conpared to a bike.

#6 ·
Six hundred to Seven hundred miles is my limit. Granted your road choice has no turns to speak of, but still.

Wear earplugs - the yellow foam kind the shooters wear.

Don't drink coffee during the ride. It makes you more tired after a long ride than it's worth getting the kick from the caffeine.

I'd spend a night at the 600-mile mark, let the next day's ride be shorter.

Is this going to start about 10 minutes after you midterms? You're probably best off taking a nap before starting if you do, but better choice would be start at dawn the next day (and don't party the night before).

Hydrate.

good luck,

cdma2k

#7 ·
Yep it can be done, question is why would you want to. Take an extra day, cause your butt, back and shoulders will be toast . Better have a jaccuzi and a massage lined up. 600 sportbike is probably the worst long range bike made, except for a mini-bike (did you happen to see the movie "Dumb and Dumber")?:D

#10 ·
ok you just mentioned spring break, I neglected to read that before but now, no way, I live in florida and the traffic here during that time is beyond bad, once your in georgia nearing florida speeds will decreae and traffic will increase, if your going to daytona then figure atleast 2-3 extra hours, orlando about the same. if your coming down to ft. lauderdale, atleast an extra 4-5 hours just sitting in traffic. while it might be cool to have your bike here to cruise around on you really won't be cruising much at all.

your best bet is to book a cheap plane ticket, or go by train. if you need to get around, rent a moped. I hate living here during spring break, its traffic 24/7 and the parties aren't anything special.

if you must do it on the bike, then do it in 2 parts, get a hotel in georgia then do florida early the next morning, and I mean early like 5:30am, at about 9 the roads will be filled with dumbass college kids buring up daddys money, no offense

#12 ·
SilentNEKO said:
ps...when I clicked on the map link it showed me something from california
hmm weird, it should show a map from Garland<Dallas>, Texas to somewhere around the orlando area.

I was going to aim at getting into Orlando very early morning, so that should help me avoid traffic(talking like 5 or 6 am)

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming if yall have anymore hehe.

#13 ·
ok seems your dead set on this trip, so here are a few tips that you might wanna take:

1. get a tankbag, this way you can lay on the tank and take pressure off your arms and shoulders and back

2. on certain stretches of the trip you can go as much as 75 miles in between gas stations, if your at 1/4 of a tank, stop and get gas, don't think you can stretch it.

3. under no circumstance should you SPEED IN GEORGIA, they are beyond serious, some of them use there own cars, my father was pulled over by the infamous blown javalin, a 200+mph cop car!!! also fhp's range is doubled during this time so no speeding in florida either, don't think the dark will protect you cause thats when they set up the speed traps.

#14 ·
Possibly, but more of a chance of you NOT being able to make the run, due to hands or wrists going numb, butt in deep trouble, back killing you, etc. Slack off a bit & good chance you will end up in an accident. During a big holiday time is the one time I will NOT ride my m/c for my life is worth to much to chance it amongst all the crazy cage drivers that cannot see m/cs as they plough into them. No my life is worth more then a gamble YET I climbed mtns from '48 till '63, raced m/cs in proper competitions for 42 yrs, competed in Downhill & Griant Slalom ski competitions. Lastly have 57 yrs of m/c experience under my belt & know what is sensible in distance riding.

#15 ·
i wouldnt man. i would drive or fly. if your going for spring break id asume you will be partying the hole week and you wont get any rest. the last thing you want to happen is to fall asleep on a bike!!
plus would if something were to happen on the open road(flat tire, run out of gas, ect...)plus you said that you are not even going to be getting a bike until late december, winter doesnt get very cold here in dallas, tx but i asume you arent going to be riding very much until the weather gets alittle nicer, which i would think is not enough seat time to be taking 1000 mile long trip. but are you going with any friends you could bum a ride from...? what are you going to do as far as luggage??
as far as bikes, the F4 or F4i would be a better choice in my opinion, there ergos sit alittle more straight up for more comfortable long rides.

just my two cents.

if you decicde to go through with it, i wish the best of luck!!!:cheers:

#16 · (Edited)
Erion_9twees said:
plus would if something were to happen on the open road(flat tire, run out of gas, ect...)plus you said that you are not even going to be getting a bike until late december, winter doesnt get very cold here in dallas, tx but i asume you arent going to be riding very much until the weather gets alittle nicer, which i would think is not enough seat time to be taking 1000 mile long trip. but are you going with any friends you could bum a ride from...? what are you going to do as far as luggage??

just my two cents.

if you decide to go through with it, i wish the best of luck!!!:cheers:
Hopefully I wont get stuck with a flat, but that would happen if I was taking a car, so its a chance you have to live with. Will plan out all gas stops.

Once I get the bike, I will be riding it to and from college. That will give me a lot of riding time, so I think I will be ready.

Still have to figure out how to fit one week of luggage on a bike, lol. Not going to be too hard though. 2 pairs of pants or shorts, 5 shirts, swimsuit, some socks, a bag with the little things<toothbrush, paste, ect.>

Traveling solo there, so no one to hitch a ride with, heh

Hopefully everything will go as planned and I will make it to Florida. If not, I'm heading somewhere else, lol.

#17 ·
Hopefully I wont get stuck with a flat, but that would happen if I was taking a car
um hello, cars have spares!

Once I get the bike, I will be riding it to and from college. That will give me a lot of riding time, so I think I will be ready.
ok the more I think about it, the less smart it seems, your going to get your first bike, ride it for 3 months then take a solo 1000 mile trip in the middle of the night? it takes way longer then that to learn to ride correctly.

if you do decide to go on this trip(which if your wise you won't), but if you do, can I have whats left of your bike?

#18 ·
SilentNEKO said:
um hello, cars have spares!

ok the more I think about it, the less smart it seems, your going to get your first bike, ride it for 3 months then take a solo 1000 mile trip in the middle of the night? it takes way longer then that to learn to ride correctly.

if you do decide to go on this trip(which if your wise you won't), but if you do, can I have whats left of your bike?

K, I will be taking the MSF course to start out with. I will be driving 15 miles to and from my house on highway and streets every monday-friday and of course, whenever I can on weekends. After three months, if I haven't learned enough, I won't go. Pretty simple; although, after three months of riding, I think I will have it down enough to make the trip.

#19 ·
i live in dallas(well close)and ill take your ass around the metroplex...when you get this bike you can ride with me and the crew if you dont know any buddy else...:topic:

#20 ·
bout' this?????

You sound like you've allready made your decision.... But the voice of reason is screaming in my head.... wait, lightbulb!!!!:huh: :hello:

Since this sounds like it will be your first long ride, how bout' something closer???? South Padre Island:D About half the distance MAP It' sstill a long ride but much more reasonable since by that time you will only have 3 months seat time.

Neko's got something I missed too... Your doing this ride solo??? NOT SMART At least have someone in a cage taking the trip too if not some fellow riders....

my :2cents: :2cents:

#22 ·
Why not ride solo, 600-1000 miles after only 3 months of seat time....

When your riding home, still a little hungover, and you do the asphalt slide.... someone can drag your ass out of the road and call for help.... it could happen......

Besides... I I've lived in Texas, I GUARANTEE, if you have a problem, you'll have no signal...

#24 ·
At the VERY least, let someone know about your plans, timeframe, etc., etc. and let them know when you arrive

#26 ·
:topic: You got the spec's on that, Erion???? Gotta build me one of them... :laughing: :laughing: :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.