Mille "Just stopped running" - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Question Mille "Just stopped running"

Question 1: Do Mille's have that wierd cut-off gyro thing that some GSXR's have that shuts the bike off if it leans over too far?

Question 2: Are Mille's known for having persnickety electrics that burn out randomly?

Here's what happened: At the end of the 4th session of his trackday on Saturday, my husband was coming around a corner on our 2000 Mille when he said it went "kunk kunk kunk" and then the motor shut off. Nothing locked up, he didn't crash. But now the bike won't turn over. When pushing the starter, it makes a loud kachunk, but doesn't make any attempt at firing. There's no grinding sound or anything. There was a puff of oil on the lefthand side of the bike, half on the frame, half on the tank, and more oil on the inside of the tank once opened. All hoses are attached as they should be, it's not leaking anywhere, oil levels are where they're supposed to be.

Any thoughts?

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 07:47 AM

I have heard of some minor electrical things, like the clock and guages resetting if they don't get enough current, but nothing major. Have you found out yet what happened in your case?

Silly squid...specs are for kids!

I prefer 4 strokes over 2 strokes...you get 2 extra strokes!!!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds -Einstein
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
elo

Nope. Hopefully this weekend. It's not looking good.

Erica

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 06:40 AM

Klunck Klunck sounds like money money not electric?? Sorry

On the brighter side you can get that stroked crank and bore it a bit with the rebuild

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
elo

Unhappy

All the positive thinking in the world didn't prevent it from being seized.

Erica

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:14 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
Really!? Bummer! Those rotax engines are usually bulletproof! I have never heard of one seizing. Are you the original owner? If not, I always wonder what kind of abuse bikes are subjected to (maintainance wise.) Maybe that's why I am so reluctant to by used. I know, from a resale standpoint, buying used makes a lot of sense, but not whin something like this happens. Sorry.

Silly squid...specs are for kids!

I prefer 4 strokes over 2 strokes...you get 2 extra strokes!!!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds -Einstein
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
elo

Unhappy

We bought the bike used, and we know it's history, unfortunately.

It was purchased new as a first bike by someone with zero experience. It had 7K miles in 2.5 years, mis-matched tires complete with 1.5 inch squid stripes. The previous owner would ride it to the local hangouts to pick up chicks. He dumped thousands of dollars into top-of-the-line upgrades and never rode it. He finally sold it when he realized he was in way over his head.

Cycle Moto swore they did a valve adjustment on it before we bought it, and promised us that they had done all the regular maintenance and installations on it. We had our own mechanic go over it with a fine-toothed comb before the trackday. It had new brake pads and rotors, new sparkplugs, all fluids replaced... It was running perfectly.

Erica

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i've never heard of any oiling problems or anything. that's odd. it may be the first seized aprilia rsv motor in the states. not that that helps.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:34 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
Shit.

It didn't sound like it seized at the track.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 AM

You dropped a valve

Sorry,

I just came across this thread.

Novice and Intermediate riders tend to over rev Milles on downshifts. I've been directly behind TWO people that did this and they both crashed when the valves stick in the cylinder and seized the engines.

After an intake valve breaks the broken pieces go back up into the air box and usually get sucked into the "good" cylinder and ruin it too.

This is caused by one thing only.... over reving the engine on downshifts. A slipper clutch will only protect your valve train for so long. Brakes are made to slow bikes down, not compression braking via slipper clutches. This is teh only draw back of a slipper clutch. It lets you get away with stuff that with out it would have put you on your head on any other bike.

Sorry to be so blunt but I've been around Mille's longer than most and this is almost for certain what happened. You're looking at big $$$ to fix this thing. Couple of grand maybe more. For sure Pistons, Valves, Heads, maybe both cylinders. Ouch...

Good news is that Blackmans has a kick ass stage 3 kit that is about the same $$$ as OEM stuff and now you can have your 130+ HP Mille...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode