ignition booster? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

ignition booster?

Anyone out there have one of these? I found this on the Apriliaforum.com but wanted to see if anyone has some history with this product prior to me handing over cold, hard cash.

I'm still looking for specs on it but they haven't replied yet......

The Duc Killer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:27 PM

Ignition Booster

My understanding of the thing is that it increases the voltage going to your spark plugs. More power means you can get a longer spark and use a larger gap for more positive ingition of the mixture. Since there is a supposedly large increase in voltage, you should use low resistance spark plugs.

Twins generally make best power when they're run rich, and a better spark may free a pony or two. But I doubt if you'll get any more power. However, properly installed, the bike should run smoother.

Scott

It is one of the essential features of incompetence that the person so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent. To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the offense.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I wasn't clear... I have hot coils in my car and on my ducs, I'm well aware of what it does, I'm just looking for specs to findout how WELL it does what it's supposed to. On my 900sp I got a few ponies out of it but even better was the 20% better gas milage. (nology wires and Hot coil). But thanks for your input anyhoo, it's bound to be useful to someone else reading the thread.

The Duc Killer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 12:07 PM

I have the evolutionize (sp??) advancer and the wires....I bought my bike with them already installed, so this post is totally useless I think

Anyway, the bike runs great from idle until the light blinks with no dead spots

-James
Aprilia RSV Mille R
Hawk GT
WERA/RPM #182

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WERA/RPM LW Endurance

2002 Results (endurance):
3rd in Lightweight Superbike, 10th overall.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 12:24 PM

kweschun

What are low resistance spark plugs, never heard of that before.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

A few of my local buds have advancers on their Mille's but I've yet to see any dynoed proof that they've gotton anything for the $300 bucks they paid.

As for low restistance plug...... better ask Scottec on those... I haven't seenm' either.

The Duc Killer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:50 AM

Quote:
My understanding of the thing is that it increases the voltage going to your spark plugs.
I don't know about this specific product, but my best guess is that it's probably a Capacitive Discharge Ignition amplifier. Such a device uses capacitors to store a charge, then releases it into the primary windings of the ignition coil(s). This type of ignition uses the coil(s) as a transformer, yielding a hotter spark, yet at a shorter event duration. This is as opposed to a normal inductive coil fired ignition, which builds a magnetic field in the primary windings which induces a current and voltage potential in the secondary windings when the voltage in the primary windings is removed, thus collapsing the field and creating the spark. Both work good, last a long time.

Quote:
More power means you can get a longer spark and use a larger gap for more positive ingition of the mixture. Since there is a supposedly large increase in voltage, you should use low resistance spark plugs.
I believe most all motorcycle spark plugs are of the low-resistance variety, as opposed to the resistor type plugs that are/were common in automotive aplications. This would be due to the fact that they are/were helpful in attenuating RFI that made radio reception and ECU operation a bit frustrating. Since these bikes depend on a computer to run, I don't think I'd risk creating an RFI problem in hopes that I'll find an extra HP or two. YMMV

Quote:
Twins generally make best power when they're run rich, and a better spark may free a pony or two. But I doubt if you'll get any more power. However, properly installed, the bike should run smoother.
I'm gonna bite on the remark about twins making best power running rich. Just how rich are we talking here? I'd venture a guess that around 13.4 to 13.7 to 1 is close to ideal on these engines, as it seems to be on most NA engines. Are you suggesting that it be richer than that? I'm curious, this is not a flame, what have you seen/heard?

BK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode