New Tire Recommendations ? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to old squid
New Tire Recommendations ?

Time to post on the ever-busy Aprilia board.

Okay, the rear MEZ3 is starting to square off despite my best efforts not to ride it to work on the freeway too much. 2200 miles and I'll be lucky to see 2500 from it.

I do a mix of commuting and twisties. A BT010 / BT020 combo would seem in order. However, I had a guy advise me not to put a BT020 on the back of the Falco because it might spin up too easy on this bike. What do you think ?

Another variable. I have my first track day coming up soon. Say I did go with a BT010/020, would they be toast after a day at the track ? If that's the case, I'll get something grippy and not worry about the mileage.

Any suggestions ?

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 08:18 PM

I'd doubt that it would spin up all that easy but there are more sticky tires to be had. But you want some milage out of'em too so you need a little trade off in traction. The good thing is they are fairly predictable if you do start to 'spin it up' coming out of a corner at your track day. I did a pair of track days on a set of 56ss's and went through 75% of the side wall tread but 1% of the center tread. I then have put 3000 commuting miles on the center and a couple trips to the mountains. I now have 1% left on the sides and 30% in the middle. So, long story short, take'em to the track day and eat up the sides, then get some good commuting miles out of the middle. If the tread is REALLY gone on the sides you can still run em on the street as long as you don't try to corner too hard in the rain. The tread is really only good for rain anyway and it's easy to avoid too much lean angle on the occasion that it rains.

So don't expect to have to toss'em out just from a track day. And if you're worried about giving up too much traction do a double 010 combo.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 08:25 PM

BTW, which track day are you doing??

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, apexismaximus.

The track day will be Keigwin's at Thunderhill, in May.

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:42 AM

I got around 4K out of my last set of BT-010s, and the set I have now look like they'll also reach that mark. Regardless, the improvement from the stock Metz's is HUGE: They turn better, grip better, perform better in hot and crap weather, and just plain ARE better. Don't walk, RUN to the tire dealer for some BTs.

Scott

It is one of the essential features of incompetence that the person so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent. To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the offense.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:57 AM

FWIW- I haven't used them yet, but you may want to look into the Metz sportec M-1's. I've heard some great things about them and am planning on making them my next set.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotteq
I got around 4K out of my last set of BT-010s, and the set I have now look like they'll also reach that mark. Regardless, the improvement from the stock Metz's is HUGE: They turn better, grip better, perform better in hot and crap weather, and just plain ARE better. Don't walk, RUN to the tire dealer for some BTs.

Scott
Got 'em, Scott.

BT010's front and rear. Yesterday, took a nice scrub-in ride up and down Mines Rd., an excellent twisty hereabouts. They felt real stable while working on wearing down the shiny part on the sides.

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode