Newb wants New Bike ^_^; - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Agent_Reaver
Newb wants New Bike ^_^;

I'm really psyched about getting my first bike but most of the bikes recommended for newbs are... well ugly. I went to beginnerbike.com and the Aprilia RS50 caught my eye. I'll be completely honest though, I know little to nothing about motorcycles so when I saw the 50cc displacement i was a bit shocked... is this bike a go cart with a pretty shell or is it something I can actually learn on and ride around (highway safe?)

Thanks in Advance for the Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 04:00 PM

With a 50cc motor, you're probably looking at having about 5bhp at the rear wheel..I reckon it would barely pull the skin off a custard.
I currently have a 250 and I find it a little annoying when it comes to highway riding. Redlined in 4th it will do about 140kph, and 5th is an overdrive. This is a bike that dynos at 26hp at the rear tyre.
I'd set your sights a little higher, especially if you get onto open highway. People often pull stupid passes on anything even a fraction under the speed limit.
Id rather kill myself on a big bike, than get killed on a small one

I think the gay waiter wants to push my stool in!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to jroosterF4i Send a message via Yahoo to jroosterF4i
My first bike was Ninja 500. Had plenty of guts to get me out of bad situations, but didn't have all the guts of, say, a Gixxer, F4i, or R6. You'd actually be surprised how much 100cc's difference makes. It was a good bike to learn on, IMHO, 'cause it was heavy to steer and made you concentrate in the corners. May have not been the prettiest thing, but it had two wheels.

I wouldn't suggest the Apprilla 50cc model, 'cause

A) you'll be bored of it in no time

B) Just not enough ponies to power out of bad situations

C) You can pick a 2000 or 2001 Ninja for about the same price that you'll pay for that Apprilla. Knew a kid that owned one as his first bike, and I paid $500 more than her did. Both ours were brand new. Remember with Apprilla, you're paying for a name as well as a bike. I've got a 2002 F4i now, and I'm glad I got that Ninja to learn on. Makes me respect the F4i a lot more than what I probably would have without having ridden something smaller.

And take the MSF course. It'll teach ya loads about riding that you'd probably never learn on your own. Just remember to take things slow and not try to keep up with the guys that have been riding for years. Just because they can push their Gixxer 750 or CBR 954 thru a turn at triple digits doesn't mean you're going to be able to. Ride to ride and not pose. Know your limits, instead of the bike's, and be safe.

The opinions expressed above are those of RoosteR and RoosteR only. By no means would anyone of sane mind and body support, or should adhere to, any of the completely mindless load crap that you've just read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode