Rs250 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Question Rs250

Okay, now that we've got a "real" moderator , I've got some questions!

The huz and I bought an RS250 Challenge back in October, and I'm curious about this thing. What's maintenance like on it? Do you really need to rebuild the top end every few hundred miles?

Where the ^%&*%$#@ do you people find parts for these things? We've got one shop out here, but if I can find parts on the internet for cheaper, so much the better. Problem is, I haven't found many places that have RS250 parts yet.

If anyone has experience riding one of these things, I'd love to hear about any special nuances or things to look out for as well.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 05:35 AM

Re: Rs250

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
Okay, now that we've got a "real" moderator , I've got some questions!
Oh, its all real baby!

Unfortunately, I know jack **** about two strokes. I have heard about rebuilding the top ends on 'em, but every few hundred miles seems a little extreme.

As far as parts go, stock stuff is pretty hard to come by unless you can find it on eBay or on one of the Aprilia boards out there. This place- http://www.apriliaforum.com/ is awesome. Check out the discussion boards and the Aprilia links. If it's out there, they've probably got a link to it. The good news is the RS250 has it's own following. If I remember correctly, our new member "TrackTime" is active in the 250 league, so he should be a good source for you.

Look at that. Providing information and bringing people together. What a moderator

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 06:29 AM
Pete

Thumbs up Re: Re: Rs250

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake

Look at that. Providing information and bringing people together. What a moderator
LOL.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 06:51 AM

I think a top end is every couple hundred hours on dirt bikes. I don't know if that italian sled is the same or not. I know guys that rebuild once a year and that is about normal out in the Pacific Northwest. But I would seak someone who rides an RS250. If I had the extra dough I would have one.

Is yours kick start or push start? How much do you intend on using it?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
elo

Kick start.

We've got street legal bodywork for the bike, but it's not really made for long rides. (Yes, two-strokes are legal on the street in AZ) He'll probably use it for quick putts around the outskirts of Phoenix, but mainly for track days. I'm hoping it's about the same maintenance as a dirtbike, we'll see.

Stake, we've checked out ApriliaForum.com, but thanks for the link. Bri's got about 3 posts logged, if you ever see one, he's ArtichokeBoy.

It's hard finding parts for these suckers! I appreciate the help.

One more thing, Stake: I hereby challenge you to a contest to see who can log fewer posts in a week, the Aprilia Forum or the Pocketbike forum!

Erica

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Elo,

there is another guy out here who rides one of those, his name is Al. Come out to mill or the pavillions and talk to him. He's been riding it for some time now, and I don't believe he's had to do any engine work on it. That thing is light, saturday night at Mill, I picked it up. I was standing there holding the whole bike off the ground. I want to get a pic of that and put it on here.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
One more thing, Stake: I hereby challenge you to a contest to see who can log fewer posts in a week, the Aprilia Forum or the Pocketbike forum!
You're on. The loser (more posts) has to go over to the Duc forum and say something nice

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
elo

Wink

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I'm going to keep posting here!

Erica

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 02:42 PM

RE: RS250

elo,

The RS250 is a VERY good bike. And although I'm the Director of the Aprilia USA Owner's Club (http://www.aprilia-usa.com), I have owned enough bikes from Japan and Italy that I don't think I'm overly biased. These bikes ARE that good. I have nearly 10,000 km on my 1996 european silver Biaggi model and it has NEVER given me grief. Yes, they require a bit more tuning to stay in top shape, but these little bikes reward you with the best cornering of any bike I've ever ridden.

The top end rebuilds you hear about are on the racing bikes that are flogged hard every mile of every day. So a WSMC or FUSA racer running these will probably see a rebuild every 800-1000 miles. But again, tuning can make a difference.

First...a caveat...I'm the LEAST mechanical person you will ever meet. Computers...no problem. But give me a wrench and I'm a danger to society.

I have my RS250 tuned by Steve Biganski, who has probably the best reputation among 2-stroke engine tuners in the USA. I think you're in Phoenix right? I would talk to the guys at Cycle Moto in Mesa. They have a good reputation with us at the Aprilia USA Owner's Club. The Aprilia dealer list is at: http://www.apriliausa.com/ridezone/i...ers/ridefr.htm

What we have found the BEST place in the USA to be is Mototek Imports in Texas. (512-218-4466 Jay Bernard, http://www.mototek.com). There is literally nothing they cannot get, including parts from Europe for my bike since it doesn't share certain parts with the cup bikes. Not that there aren't other good dealers...just that Jay has always come through for club members and has an impeccable reputation. They have a lot of troubleshooting experience too, being the largest Aprilia racing team in the country.

The important thing, from what I have been told and seen in action, is HOW your bike is tuned. You can have your RS250 tuned so that it is a full race bike and is running at the ragged edge to get that last horsepower, or tuned for a more moderate street/track level where it's more liveable day to day but still does well.

Mine has the Arrow full system, Biganski-worked top end, and modified intake/airbox. I'd guess I'm at around 63-64 rwhp up from 56 stock, but it runs very smooth and is very reliable.

BTW...Mototek makes a 316cc big bore kit that will see something like 75-80 hp if you're dying for more power and don't mind spending some serious cash.

Hope this info helps. Let me know if I can offer further assistance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg todd_bike2.jpg (26.3 KB, 382 views)

Todd Robinson
Sales & Event Director
Pacific Track Time
http://www.pacifictracktime.com
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 11:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
elo,

you can also try going to scrantonindian.com or indianscranton.com i can't remember which addy it is. they are an aprilia dealer who seems to be trying to build up quite the parts supply.

also check out back issues of roadracingworld on their website. aaron clarke used one of their aprilia's to win the fusa championship in 2000. he describe some jetting tip and such. he said they need to be jetted richer than most bikes.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode