Rs250 - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
elo

Cool

Thanks TrackTime! That helps a lot. Bri has made friends with the guys at Cycle Moto, they are indeed good people. Just out of sheer scrooge-ness we've been trying to find parts through sources other than from the dealer. You know, you can buy a great helmet from a shop, but you can usually find a better deal somewhere in internet-land? That type of thing.

Thanks so much for your response. I'll be printing it out and giving it to my non-internet friendly husband! Just out of curiosity, and since I'm too lazy this early in the morning to look for myself, what's involved in joining the Aprilia USA club? What benefits does that bring as opposed to not joining?

Oh yeah, VERY cool pic.

Tony, thanks to you too! I'll be looking into those issues of Roadracing World.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 06:13 AM

Wonderful bikes but I donít use a 2-stroke for anything I donít have to. A track day friend has one with a common RS problem. The carb overflow leaks a lot when the bike is being transported, something to do with the automatic petcock. I forget the details, if you donít know already ask around.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 06:45 AM

Call Aaron

Elo!

Aaron at AZ powersports has all sorts of information on the Prillers. Call him at (480)970-4800

I just spoke to him, so give him a call!!

P

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 11:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
there is also an aprilia cup mailing list. it's on yahoogroups.com. the owner is a racer (ben "not bostrom") who is a really good guy. he's a former fzr400 and fzr560 owner, so he has some class.

honestly, a lot of good info.

svbob mentioned the petcock problem. i've heard of crank cases filling with gas. i don't remember the fix for it, but it's pretty easy. (i think)

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 06:09 PM

RE: RS250

Quote:
Originally posted by elo

Just out of curiosity, and since I'm too lazy this early in the morning to look for myself, what's involved in joining the Aprilia USA club? What benefits does that bring as opposed to not joining?

Oh yeah, VERY cool pic.
You can join the club on our website. Click the "Membership" link. Members get a T-shirt and card like just about every other club on earth. We decided NOT to take the route of trying to be a "discount club". Instead, we organize events and provide support for major things going on. Last year we did hospitality and a party at WSB Laguna Seca. For 2002 we're looking at organizing club rides in several areas and doing even more hospitality at major events.

We're also going to be supporting the "Ride 4 Kids" which raises money for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. American Honda is the main sponsor of R4K, but EVERY manufacturer has groups that go out and support this charity.

We also have a very active Aprilia-specific message board (not to detract from SBW of course!) and some cool giveaways.

Best,

Todd
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
elo

Talking

Thanks, I'll check it out. And thanks again for your help, Bri found it very interesting!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 01:59 PM

Cool

Elo;Two sites I can recommend are www.rgv250.co.uk and www.jonesracing.co.uk.As the RS250 shares the same engine with the Suzuki RGV250(VJ22 model),many of the technical tips,parts,etc. are applicable to your bike.The Aprilia owner's manual reommends ring changes every 5,000 miles and piston changes every 10,000 miles(note;Road miles NOT racing miles!)The powervalve problems that plagued the earlier RGV are not a cause for concern on the RS as it uses a more reliable twin pin design.However,a tuner by the name of Armin Fischer in Germany sells an even better designed replacement powervalve system for the RS/RGV.And unless you intend using your Aprilia mainly for the track,keep the stock pipes as aftermarket ones only give an increase above 8,000 revs(1-2 bhp and some more over rev) but with a corresponding loss below.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard4L1
As the RS250 shares the same engine with the Suzuki RGV250(VJ22 model),many of the technical tips,parts,etc. are applicable to your bike.The Aprilia owner's manual reommends ring changes every 5,000 miles and piston changes every 10,000 miles......The powervalve problems that plagued the earlier RGV are not a cause for concern on the RS as it uses a more reliable twin pin design.....And unless you intend using your Aprilia mainly for the track,keep the stock pipes as aftermarket ones only give an increase above 8,000 revs(1-2 bhp and some more over rev) but with a corresponding loss below.
Richard,

This reply is NOT intended to argue with you. However, my personal experience is different from what you are noting in your post.

1) I think it's important to note for people that the 8000km (5000mi) service on my RS250 road bike was not much more expensive than a major servicing on my Ducati. So yes...they change the rings and all, but I think Elo should know that this isn't a big deal or major expense (relatively).

2) There can still be power valve issues, but this can fairly easily be remedied with a good 2-stroke mechanic. Biganski does great work on these and can quite readily remedy that issue.

3) I found that putting on the Arrow full system made a BIG difference from 2500 RPM on up. Depending on who you listen to, the Arrow pipes with some modest jetting to compensate can make a 3-4 hp difference. I haven't had my bike dynoed, but I can tell you that the range of performance increase isn't just at or above the sweet spot. It really helped across the board.

Caveat: I'm not mechanical in the least sense....so these are simply my "seat of the pants" observations and my personal experience with my mechanic and guys I know who are racing these in FUSA and WSMC.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 04:10 AM

Todd, I'd like to clarify some points in case I might have been misunderstood 1:Top end overhaul-I never inferred any outrageous expense to do so.In fact,as you rightly say,the cost is quite acceptable(ish).(one tip;you can use RG125F head gaskets to increase compression slightly as they are 10 thou thinner)What I meant was that stripdowns are not as frequent as moto-cross bikes,in order to put Elo's mind at rest. 2:Aftermarket exhausts such as Arrow,Jolly Moto or Giannelli DO give a top end boost,but as I've seen dyno curves comparing them to stock,they do tend to lose some bottom end.An exhaust pipe designed for high revs will not work as efficiently as the stock system at low revs-unless the O.E. pipe is poorly designed-It's all down to the timing of positive and negative pressure waves. 3:I have a soft spot for Aprilia's RS250,together for most other two strokes .No way was my previous post intended to denigrate the bike in question.In fact I think that it is a brilliant "pocket rocket"as I've often ridden them.Happy canyon carving!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 10:59 AM

Elo, does your RS 250 have any sort of trunk? I haven't been able to find a 250 in my area, but I did find a 50, and it had a key hole on top of the seat. It was about 2 or 3 inches from the tank and that seems to be in an uncomfortable spot for any gender. I was just wondering if your RS 250 has the same sort of key hole in the seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode