Futura owners - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Futura owners

Any Futura owners out there? I've been lusting over them since they came out and it is getting harder to resist. The main thing holding me back is the lack of a large dealer network as I do alot of cross country travel. My local dealer seems like an O.K. shop (CycleMoto in Mesa AZ) and everything I have heard is that the Aprilia's are pretty bullit proof with the exception of side stand switches. Any unique personality traits with this bike?

96 Bimota DB3 Mantra
05 Benelli Tre
07 MG Griso
07 MG Norge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:58 PM

Re: Futura owners

Quote:
Originally posted by JetBoy
Any unique personality traits with this bike?
Yeah, I sat on one at the IMS in dec and told my friend I liked it and he said I should get a Ford Focus to match. I think that they are beautiful, but some people disagree. As far mechanical traits, I will defer to someone who owns an Aprilia.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 02:51 PM

RE: Futura

The Futuras are great bikes. These are powered by a differently-tuned Mille engine (built by Rotax...basically bulletproof). Aprilia is using a 100 hp version of the engine that has a much broader torque band for smoother driving, whereas the Mille is more "on or off" like the 996.

There have been very few problems reported to us at the Aprilia USA Owner's Club, and the Futura owners to date have been a very satisfied bunch.

The styling is, as you say, love it or hate it, reminiscent of the DeLorean, Countach, etc. But the riding position is comfy, the bike is sporty, the luggage is spacious (not quite BMW RT but close), and these will still wheelie like nobody's business!

Several dealers offer test rides, and I'd suggest you take advantage of that of possible. Cycle Moto is a GREAT dealer...outstanding reputation with our club members. And there is a pretty good (and growing) dealer network. Here's the current roster of USA dealers: http://www.apriliausa.com/ridezone/i...ers/ridefr.htm

Hope this helps!

Todd Robinson
Sales & Event Director
Pacific Track Time
http://www.pacifictracktime.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 10:42 AM

Cool Futura owner

Just hit this list and thought I would say my say. 8,000 miles and is great, Aprilia is making a up grade for front forks, and rear shock, so as to compete with the Duc StS4s and will now be even better in the curves. Their base line for the Futura was of to far in favor of the touring side and now will favor the sport side of adjustment for more handling in the sport sence. It is still way more comfortable than the Duc , and more or lighter that the new Honda and the New ZZR1200. I traded my K12RS for the lighter and better handling bike, not to mention looks, I like it . There are things that are wrong with it that I know or should say Aprilia is aware of, but none are real bad, just chicken shit stuff. Need ang real info.? Ask and I will go into detail.

"max"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 10:49 AM

Details

I would be interested in what the littel chicken sh*t items are. Things you can live with or things that get under your skin every time you ride the bike?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:16 AM

Cool

Can't change the screen in the oil bag because it hits the cat. converter when you try to remove it, so you have to loosen the bolts that hold the bag and tilt it so as to clear the cat. The morrors, will viribrate and come loose in the stalks, and there is no adjustment in the back of the mirrors to take up the loose mirror , like on my H.D. mirrors. But they will give you a new one and , so far, it hasn't come loose. Only one came loose, but it can happen. The seat has little tits to keep it of the frame and to act as a bumper, but they come out and will not give them to you , they want to replace the entire seat, what asses! The tits cost 10 cents, the seat it 700, go figure. I took the tits from a bmw K12rs and made them fit, my dealer gave them to me. Can't read the coolent level, because the bag isn't the right color, and you must add food die to the coolent to make it dark so you can see it in the bag. Must jack up the settings on the front and back to ride it hard, like a sport bike, long range is great for comfort, and I have owned them all, the best sport touring bike on the market, but Yam. is being out the 1300, and Honda missed it with there new 800, not enought power, and a little heavey. No race pipes yet , got to have them custom made, it will suck but will gain 8 or10 hp, and the sould will be worth it. I am buying a R or the new Tuono, as soon as I can. The Tuono I think is going to be great, but only 30 coming to US. Hope this helps, but got to go, will look at this sight again. Thanks for the reply.

"max"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:05 PM

If I can pay off the Duc, I am seriously considering a futura for some of my longish trips. Perhaps a US tour. Always wanted to do that.

I'll never get over Macho Grande
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode