Aprilia or Ducati - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 06:33 PM

Are you sitting in a house with a tin can and a string coming out the end of it or are you REALLY on the internet? http://www.apriliausa.com/ridezone/i...els/ridefr.htm
All these things and more have been answered by people more knowlegable and better with Microsoft Word than I. Use your Search button on your browser and I'm certain you'll get 3 million sites with the answer to this. I'm too busy riding, sorry.
I could spend the time to tell you about the 5mm height adjustment in the engine/chassis deptartment, or I might wax eloquent about the resin tank that is lighter and shorter then the 00 metal gastank. They even changed all the bodywork! The bike has a more powerful computer control system and new forks.... but as refined as it is, it makes no more power than a 2000, and unless you are a fan of the new "look"... you might not benefit to much from all the 120 changes. Investigate all you like.. but in the end I'll bet dollars to doughnuts your decision will be made 3 minutes into the test ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 06:49 PM

Cool Squidly in their ways?

Silly, grab the Aprilia RSV! Any squid can properly ID a Duc from a mile a way. But they see the RSV Mille and say, "um, is that as fast my '02 Ultra Hightech Whellie Popper 600GSXZXCBYZF-R?"
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Are you sitting in a house with a tin can and a string coming out the end of it or are you REALLY on the internet?
Uhm, sure. Just like you said. I have a computer and a tin can.

I'm asking these questions AFTER having done a good bit of searching and not turning up anything conclusive or useful. Perhaps I'm looking wrong places, but I haven't been able to find jack. It was in the process of SEEKING these answers that I come to find this board, and here I am.

The link to the Aprilia site was nothing I hadn't seen before. Don't be mistaken, I have ridden Ducati and Aprilia products, just not a Mille or a 996/998. I've been riding for 14 years, so this motorcycle stuff isn't something I just happend to find out about from friends. I don't point fingers at people and call 'squid' or whatever, nor do I care whether or not the locals can figure out what the hell I'm riding. They see my Honda, and act like they've never seen one before. In a way, they haven't. . . . as most sportbikes around here get molested and distorted into one front brake havin', stretched swingarm wearin', chromed everything sportin' pimp-o-cycles. One guy told me how cool my bike would look with NEON. This is a world unlike any other I've ever known. . . .

Quote:
All these things and more have been answered by people more knowlegable and better with Microsoft Word than I.
I'm sure that's very true. Do me a solid and point me to where I might find these gems of knowlege. . . . umkay? Please???

Quote:
Use your Search button on your browser and I'm certain you'll get 3 million sites with the answer to this. I'm too busy riding, sorry.
My greatest pet peeve is people who don't use the search functions, so belive me I've tried. Glad to hear you're busy riding, I'm busy working. Blame it on my schedule or whatever, just don't assume prematurely that I haven't tried to find these answers for myself.

Quote:
I could spend the time to tell you about the 5mm height adjustment in the engine/chassis deptartment, or I might wax eloquent about the resin tank that is lighter and shorter then the 00 metal gastank. They even changed all the bodywork! The bike has a more powerful computer control system and new forks.... but as refined as it is, it makes no more power than a 2000, and unless you are a fan of the new "look"... you might not benefit to much from all the 120 changes.
Go on! This is the kind of stuff that I'm interested in knowing. If you're not interested in telling me yourself, please at least lead me to the source of this information. I'm not here to waste your time any more than I am to waste my own. So again, lend a hand or something.

Quote:
Investigate all you like.. but in the end I'll bet dollars to doughnuts your decision will be made 3 minutes into the test ride.
Ah yes. . . and there is the other issue. The bike I'm considering is in another state, but I live in NC. I found the bike a week ago when I went to see friends, and though they let me piddle around on a demo Falco (ho-hum. . . not bad, but my Honda would beat the crap out of it in every arena) but not on the Mille. Likewise, I have a deal found in NC on a 996. . . they let me ride the 900SS, but not the 996. Not suprising, I guess. The guy here in NC knows I'm a serious buyer, knows I have the means to buy whatever I set my heart on, but they can't put miles on the Superbikes, owner's rules.

SO, test rides are pretty much out of the question, so this purchase will have to be done on faith and over the telephone. I'm comfortable with both dealerships in question. It's just a matter of making up my mind, and putting down the cash.

Do please take a little time and help me learn the differences before I decide to take/pass on this deal. I'd hate to make the wrong choice, you guys can help me make the right one.

BK

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 08:13 PM

The RSV Mille is the one with all the gingerbread like the Ohlins forks, right? Why not get a pre-owned one that has depreciated a bit, but still has low miles. That would be the bomb, man, I love that bike, it just has too small a tail for carrying luggage and touring.

The 998 is getting a bit dated in style, and it seems horribly overpriced. Can't fault the motor. If you buy one, you gotta deal with the Ducati geeks, that would be reason enough to get the Apillia. Either that or start wearing a pocket protector with pens (at least one has to be leaky) that say "Ducati".

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 08:47 AM

Too small a tail for touring?!?!? I wish I'd known that earlier, before I put saddlebags on my Mille' night before last and slapped another 500 miles on the odo. Heck, I had these same TourMasters on my 916 for a weeklong HWY 1 campout. BTW I got 45 mpg this weekend going all manner of speeds! As far as not being able to fault the motor of a 916/996/998. You can! I spent $3800 keeping mine running for the last 10,000 miles. vs. $540 for the Mille'.

I'm having trouble understanding how any dealership can expect to sell you a Mille' by having you ride a Falco, or sell you a 996 by giving you a 900ss. What are they thinking?! I sell 100,000 dollar cars for a living and even we take our clients out for demonstrations! That's a load of crap. The dealer can let you ride the bike... I'd make it clear that you won't buy ANYTHING from them without a demo. My dealer is happy to let me ride any of his bikes ( it might help that I've bought 4 ducs and this Mille' from him) but it's just part of the sales process. Not wanting too many miles on it?!? They appearently don't think you're a buyer.

JetengDr... carry a gun and the next bozo to tell you to put NEON on yer bike.. ventilate em!

I'm looking for a good article that spells out all the changes between my bike and the newer ones that'll be of some help for you ( I have a 3 ft stack of CYCLE WORLD, SPORTBIKE, MOTORCYCLIST mags) it's in there somewhere.. I'll find it and scan it for you.

I'm still attempting to find out what a Ducati GEEK is. Does that mean I AM one? ? Most Duc riders that I've ever met are older, own more than one bike, don't always wave back, don't drink domestic beer, and the "real" Ducati riders always have a pocketful of spare fuses. Oh yeah, and they have money. That last part is the only thing keeping me out of the "in" crowd. I spent mine on bikes and women... the rest I wasted.
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 04:36 PM

Well, another dealership sold me the Honda after letting me ride a 250cc Rebel. . . . it's really all the same, ya know? (just kidding.)

I understand the paranoia of the dealership that has the Aprilia I'm looking at. I pull up in my GF's dumpy little Honda Civic, they don't know anything about me besides that one of my good friends is one of their best customers, etc. They turn me loose on the Falco (I wanted to sample the Rotax V-Twin, mostly) with a POS helmet that is two sizes too big, has a bolt holding the visor on on one side, which wouldn't stay closed at any speed over 50 mph. They don't know shit about me, to most people I look like some big crazy redneck (I've got that look about me, afterall) who might very well be a burger flipper at Wendy's. The guy in NC at the Ducati store KNEW I meant business, because I brought with me a rather pricey helmet and a couple recent paystubs to show him that I wasn't a tire kicker. I tried to get the cool-guy deal on the financing (at the time, was 2.9%, I think) but that didn't happen. I didn't know I was in collections for a $24 phone bill in Texas. Sucks how something little like that can blow a good deal for ya, huh? Anyway, I'm not rich by any means, but I'm a single dude who makes enough money to ride just about whatever bike I choose. However, I'm a stingy bastard, and I'm not cool with owning a bike that will constantly cost me money.

So, I think tomorrow I'll call the Aprilia dealer, ask if they still have the 'R', and ask them if they'll take a check for $2000 to hold the bike for me till I get this house deal closed. I'd still like to know more about what I may be getting into, and I wonder if buying a bike I've never ridden might be a mistake. Any opinions?

BK
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 05:17 PM

If you've ridden a derestricted Falco and thought "ho hum", then a Mille (or any twin for that matter) probably won't appeal to you.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 05:27 PM

Never said it was unrestricted.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 05:49 PM

I don't think anyone can answer that for you... it's your money after all. Having bought both my Mille and my 916 without test riding them ( I ordered the first ones available) while that was fine for me, might not be fine for you. Did you expect the mille to blow your 900rr in the weeds? It won't. the Falco is a nice alternative for someone who wants the twin experience but also wants a bit more versatility. After hitting the road for 500 miles, I could say that I wish I had that Falco.... but in reality, I bought the Mille for my track time. I guess you really must consider what type of riding appeals to you before you whip out that checkbook. Either bike will be coveted by nearly everyone who sees it, and either one will doubtless give you years of pleasure.. asuming you ride it in the intended environment of the designers.

Things to consider anyway.
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jetenginedoctor
Never said it was unrestricted.
Hence the "if" at the beginning of my post. It is my understanding that no new Falcos or Milles leave the dealer without being derestricted; I doubt they would let someone test ride one that was strangled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode