Aprilia or Ducati - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 02:15 PM

Question

I'm a little torn over which bike to buy too. I'm getting conflicting opinions about whether to get a Mille'R' or a 996/998. I want to "graduate" from the 96 Honda that I've been riding for the past six years, but when looking at such spending this kind of money on another scoot, I want to be sure I'm spending it in the right place.

The thing that has me concerned about the Aprilia is resale value. Take a look at any bike-trader type publication (or online for that matter) and look at how much more the Aprilia seems to devaluate as compared to the Ducati. Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

I can 'afford' to get whatever bike I want, but would admittedly prefer to go for the best bang-for-the-buck offering. Whatcha think?

Oh yes, how much difference is there between the 2000 Mille'R' and the current offerings?

Thanks in advance,

BK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 04:29 PM

ResALE... HMMMM.

Seems as if the resale on my Mille' isn't so hot.... I bought it for 13 and now it's worth 9~10 grand as best I can tell. But then I remember that a 2000 996 can be had for 10~11 grand but the entrance fee is damn near 17 large..... Where's my calculator? It remains to be seen just where the Aprilia will level out at. But I'll bet as far as % numbers go.... it will be far better that the Duc. Owning both bikes.... I can tell you that my Duc ISN'T worth $4000 more that the Mille! The mainainance costs of the Duc were 4 times more than my Aprilia... so even if the resale was better... which it isn't, this alone would far out weigh that factor cost wise. BTW My dealer has 2001 mille's for 11400 and 2001 R for 13000, that ought to help out with the cost/fun/resale equation for you!
And yes, I've seen EbAY listings for under 8 on mille's, but the reserve is never met.... so much for "guidlines @ ebay".

all of this still makes more sense to me than spending 11 on a R1 only to have it be worth 5 grand the following yr...
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 04:44 PM

Uhm. . . I wasn't intending to incite any sort of flaming with this one. I'm here on the East Coast, and used Aprilias just DO NOT get the same money as used Ducatis. PERIOD! Even salesmen at a couple different dealerships have confirmed the fact. I'm the owner of a Honda that would probably only bring HALF of what I have in it, which is why I'll probably never get rid of it. My point in asking was not to get anyone bent out of shape, I was merely pointing out a phenomenon I have noticed in this part of the country.

My other question still stands. What (if any) difference/s exsist between the year 2000 and year 2002 Mille'R's????

BK

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jetenginedoctor
Uhm. . . I wasn't intending to incite any sort of flaming with this one. I'm here on the East Coast, and used Aprilias just DO NOT get the same money as used Ducatis. PERIOD! Even salesmen at a couple different dealerships have confirmed the fact. I'm the owner of a Honda that would probably only bring HALF of what I have in it, which is why I'll probably never get rid of it. My point in asking was not to get anyone bent out of shape, I was merely pointing out a phenomenon I have noticed in this part of the country.

My other question still stands. What (if any) difference/s exsist between the year 2000 and year 2002 Mille'R's????

BK
I THINK it was the 2001 model year where they changed the engine height an swingarm height and a few minor but important changes.

BTW did you ever work on a J-79?

Last edited by desmo079; 05-18-2002 at 05:22 PM.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 05:31 PM

Quote:
BTW did you ever work on a J-79?
Yeah, we still had Phantoms when I went to 'A-school' at NAS Memphis. We had a couple surplus (junk) J-79s that we screwed around with in college too.

Why ya ask?

BK
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah, we still had Phantoms when I went to 'A-school' at NAS Memphis. We had a couple surplus (junk) J-79s that we screwed around with in college too.

Why ya ask?

BK
When I was in law school, I worked at a Defense Logistics Agency (fancy way of saying military surplus junkyard) that specialized in F4 and C-130. A very profitable business back then, since just about every country on the planet had at least one of each. Many times I had to disassemble a bunch of Woodward Governor(?) fuel controls. Like a 40lb swiss watch. And a bunch of other stuff. someone explained ot me what a responsive engine it was and something about the variable pitch on the intake veins. Just wonder ing if you had seen any of those lately. The J-79 was used in 707s and the F-104. It was a pretty interesting business. I remember one thime told me that new Ham-Std props for the C-130 $60,00.00 and used, serviceable ones were worth $120,000.00 Why? Because the new ones were on back order for abouut a year!!

What do you work on now? I bet the fuel controls are now a 2gram chip!
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:35 PM

Actually, I've been out of aviation for almost a year now. These days, I'm a Combined-Cycle/Gas Turbine powerplant operator. More money, more stability, easier work. I registered as 'jetenginedoctor' on this site because it is what I've gone by on other boards for several years. No sense in changing monikers now, just because my job changed, eh?

And to answer your question, aircraft/engines equipped with FADEC (full authority digital engine control) house their electronics in removeable modules sized somewhere between a lunchbox and beer-cooler sized enclosures. This leads me to believe that there's a little more envolved than a two gram chip.

I'm beginning to think you and I are the only two that read this board.

BK
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 01:25 PM

No, you aren't the only ones. I tend to lurk around.
and no, my panties are not in knots nor do I feel flamed. As for differences between the 2000 mille' and the 01, Yes, there are quite a few, if the changes make the bike any better for you... well you ought to ride them both to find out.

Also, I'm certain that in some areas... Ducati has better resale due to simple name recognition... I went bike camping in Hells Canyon last night (do that before you die... fuggin incredible!) and I was ask about 100 times about my bike... even the hard core BMW Club of america guys were scratching their collective heads. The "newness" factor is still strong 3 yrs after I bought it!
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:28 PM

I'm still looking for specific differences. I don't give a flip what cosmetic differences there are, rather changes/improvements in chassis, brakes, engine, etc. I can care less about color schemes and stuff like that. I'm a bargain shopper, but know not to be too quick to buy something at a steal if there's a reason it's priced so low. In other words, the 'good price' that they're trying to sell this bike at, may be even higher than it still should be.

If you know somebody who would know the answers to my questions, please ask them to lend a helping hand here. I do appreciate the help and intend to reciprocate in kind.

Thanks,

BK
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I'm still looking for specific differences. I don't give a flip what cosmetic differences there are, rather changes/improvements in chassis, brakes, engine, etc. I can care less about color schemes and stuff like that. I'm a bargain shopper, but know not to be too quick to buy something at a steal if there's a reason it's priced so low. In other words, the 'good price' that they're trying to sell this bike at, may be even higher than it still should be.

If you know somebody who would know the answers to my questions, please ask them to lend a helping hand here. I do appreciate the help and intend to reciprocate in kind.

Thanks,

BK
I just realised that this the Aprilia forum. If you haven't gotten an answer more technical than mine by now, you probably aren't going to get one. The article I read about the changes went into detail about what the differences as far as performance were. I wish I could tell you which one it was, but I subscribe to all of them and I can't remember which one it was.

I do remember them mentioning that Troy Corser was the one who (supposedly) requested the change to the swingarm and engine height.

Gook Luck.

My $.02: If all you are going to do is SERIOUSLY haul ass on the twisties for no more than 25 mi at a time, Get the 998 with a chip and slip-ons. Otherwise, get the R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode