Aprilia or Ducati - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 01:08 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake

If it is, I didn't notice it. FYI, all of the Mille engines come with a slipper clutch. Now that I have finally figured out how to use it (I think ), I'm having a hell of a good time
being that I'm getting a Mille in a few months, could someone explain how a slipper clutch works?? thanks

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 02:14 PM

I'm still a little uncertain, but I'll give it a shot. My understanding is that it is essentially analogous to a sprague clutch in a helicopter (if your familiar with that). In other words, you can bang down the gears without using the the clutch lever and not have to worry about rev-matching. The slipper clutch allows the engine to basically remain disengaged from the gears until it reaches a level where it can engage without screwing things up (for lack of a better phrase). The procedure goes something like this- close the throttle, bang (really more of a tap) the shifter down, right back on the throttle. No locking of the rear end, no tire chirping, etc... Hopefully someone who has more experience with one than I do can chime in and give a better explanation.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake
I'm still a little uncertain, but I'll give it a shot. My understanding is that it is essentially analogous to a sprague clutch in a helicopter (if your familiar with that). In other words, you can bang down the gears without using the the clutch lever and not have to worry about rev-matching. The slipper clutch allows the engine to basically remain disengaged from the gears until it reaches a level where it can engage without screwing things up (for lack of a better phrase). The procedure goes something like this- close the throttle, bang (really more of a tap) the shifter down, right back on the throttle. No locking of the rear end, no tire chirping, etc... Hopefully someone who has more experience with one than I do can chime in and give a better explanation.
Right..it keeps the rear tire from skidding, like, when ya downshift into 1st, while going a bit to fast..Ahhh..I know I'm going to enjoy the Mille..Thanks Stake

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 03:01 PM
Pete

It was my understanding that a slipper clutch has nothing to do with enabling you to shift (up or down) without pulling in the clutch lever. I thought it was more analogous (sorry to steal your word, Stake) to "slipping," or "riding," the clutch manually, but it's done it for you automatically, to avoid the big hit of disengagement that happens when you dump the clutch. I could be completely wrong, I dunno.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:36 PM

I think we are talking about the same thing ( ). Wether you "ride" the clutch manually or powershift down, it keeps the engine from "catching" until the revs are in the right range.....I think.

Maybe one of those smart guys from the "How do I" forum can clear this up?

-Mike
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Maybe one of those smart guys from the "How do I" forum can clear this up?

I think im going to carry on using my clutch until someone convinces me otherwise
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 03:50 AM

The Rotax Aprilia engine uses a pnuematic vacuum assisted clutch....very simply, it uses some of the engine vacuum, to separate the clutch plates when the throttle is closed (downshifting)...this allows the clutch to slip and keep the rear wheel in-line. On an upshift, the clutch sees very litttle engine vacuum (throttle plates are open), and clutch works as normal. You will also notice that the clutch pull effort is much less when the engine is running.

Regarding the Duck vs. Aprilia statements above.....I am both a Duc and Aprilia mechanic for a well-known dealership....trust me, buy the Aprilia, FAR FAR better engineered and reliable....way too many problems with the Ducks. We call the Aprilia the "Italian-Honda"....yes, there are that reliable and cheap to maintain. Replacement parts on the Aprilia are also the same price on average as Yamaha...very cheap.

Also, go compare Duck vs Aprilia insurance....you may have another nice little surprise too with the Aprilia

go check out www.apriliaforum.com to find out all you need to know about Aprilia
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apriliaforum
The Rotax Aprilia engine uses a pnuematic vacuum assisted clutch....very simply, it uses some of the engine vacuum, to separate the clutch plates when the throttle is closed (downshifting)...this allows the clutch to slip and keep the rear wheel in-line. On an upshift, the clutch sees very litttle engine vacuum (throttle plates are open), and clutch works as normal. You will also notice that the clutch pull effort is much less when the engine is running.

Regarding the Duck vs. Aprilia statements above.....I am both a Duc and Aprilia mechanic for a well-known dealership....trust me, buy the Aprilia, FAR FAR better engineered and reliable....way too many problems with the Ducks. We call the Aprilia the "Italian-Honda"....yes, there are that reliable and cheap to maintain. Replacement parts on the Aprilia are also the same price on average as Yamaha...very cheap.

Also, go compare Duck vs Aprilia insurance....you may have another nice little surprise too with the Aprilia

go check out www.apriliaforum.com to find out all you need to know about Aprilia
The Aprilia is sounding better by the day !!!!!!
Thanks for your input
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by "bladerunner"

The Aprilia is sounding better by the day !!!!!!
Thanks for your input
Ditto...Dittio...and thanx..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 01:53 PM

With all of this positive press, my bike just isn't going to be as exclusive as it is now. Maybe I can convince Aprilia to jack up the prices a little, just to keep the riff-raff out. j/k, you guys are gonna love it once you ride it.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode