Sl 1000 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Corse
Thumbs up Sl 1000

Picking up my new Sl 1000 Falco this week. I can't wait, too bad it is freezing outside. I guess this means I'll have to dress warm so I can get at least one ride in this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 07:52 AM

Re: Sl 1000

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse
Picking up my new Sl 1000 Falco this week. I can't wait, too bad it is freezing outside. I guess this means I'll have to dress warm so I can get at least one ride in this year.
Congrats! Which year are you getting? This is no shit the best overall bike I have ever ridden. Comfortable as hell, handles as well as the true repli-racers, blah blah blah.... If I were you I would ask the shop to do the de-restriction for you while you are there. It makes a WORLD of difference (22hp worth). That, combined with an Evoluzione air filter, 2.8 gear ratio change, and the Factory-pro chip are the only mods I have made so far. I would recommend them HIGHLY, especially the chip. It completely gets rid of the 3k stumble and the 5k hesitation on the stock one. When I get home I'll post some links that should give you some pretty good information, if you haven't found them already. You are going to love this machine

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 08:57 AM

Here you go:

www.rideaprilia.com
www.apriliaforum.com
www.geocities.com/sl_mille/
groups.yahoo.com/group/falcoforum

Any questions let me know. I'm tired of listening to all these Ducati owners yapping about how great their bikes are when they just don't know ( )

(I really do like the Duc's too, but don't tell anyone )

-Mike

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks for the info. The bike is a yellow 2001. I was planning on derestricting it and I was thinking about using the Factory pro chip after I looked at their website last night. Lots more power
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at a 900ss but the I liked the riding position better on the Falco and the fact that it makes a lot more hp. How much do you pay for maintenance or do you do it yourself? Thanks again for the info.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse
I was looking at a 900ss but the I liked the riding position better on the Falco and the fact that it makes a lot more hp. How much do you pay for maintenance or do you do it yourself? Thanks again for the info.
Talk about a coincidence. I walked into the store with the intention of buying a 900ss and walked out with the Falco.

My first maintenance I had done by my dealer, only because they recommend checking the valves (I called Aprilia to verify this and make sure they weren't trying to rip me off). Since then I've done everything myself. The labor rate, should you go to a shop, should not be any more than their normal rate for working on jap bikes. If they try to charge you more I would find another shop. Speaking of maintenance, I was talking to the shop manager the last time I was there and he told me the only repair work they have done on any of the Aprilia's they have serviced was on a Mille that had a bad weld on the oil tank, and that was under warranty. Pretty good track record so far...

-Mike
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Yeah the parts guy at the dealership he hasn't seen anything brake on the Aprilia's that they have sold, makes me feel better. Not like those finicky Ducati's. I can't wait to pick it up.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 05:30 PM

Talking Oh yeah

Thanks for all the info. I assume all this talk re: reliabilty will apply to the Mille, that I'll be gettin next spring huh

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 12:03 AM

Re: Oh yeah

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
Thanks for all the info. I assume all this talk re: reliabilty will apply to the Mille, that I'll be gettin next spring huh
From Everything I've heard- yup

Corse,
Let me know if you do get the Factorypro chip. I rigged a toggle switch in my "trunk" space to switch between map 13 and map 14. I'll post some pics if you want.

Over the winter I'll be putting on a set of Renegades and a Penske rear shock.

-Mike
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 12:26 AM

I have to say that Stake was looking very smooth and fast at the track a couple of weeks ago. Hey mike, did you tell them what the CR said about the falco?
I love the Mille and spoke at some length with a dealer. He told me that they have not had one single bike come in with any sort of problem. I test rode a mille and loved it. The gearbox felt a lot smoother than mine, loved the power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode