Futura vs ST4S - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Futura vs ST4S

Anyone know or have an opinion on how these two would stack up to each other in a side by side comparison??
Just curious........

Jim

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 10:22 PM

comparo

Check out the September issue of Superbike magazine. They test both bikes as well as other sport tourers. The Futura got a 89% rating compared to the 87% of the ST4S. VFR800 was rated 94%, which made it the winner .....again....*yawn*

Take care,
Gregory
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 02:50 AM

Smile Love is.....

Sorry guys, but I just LOVE my VFR......

Better Smeg than dead

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 02:19 PM

VFR

Nothing wrong with that at all, I just don't like the feel of the bike. A good friend is a VFR fanatic and I have ridden his bike and didn't like the engine, its all personal choice

Take care,
Gregory
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:26 PM

The ST4s has a four valve head and the famous bend over every 6000 miles valve check. Just got my Ducati 748s back with a $600 bill. I have been looking at a Sport Tourer for sometime. It just doesn't make sense to lay out $600 every 6000 miles on a bike that will be ridden more than a sports bike. The ST4 uses a 916 motor that is only two valves per head the maintenance is less expensive. I'm still looking at the three bikes Futura, ST4 and VFR. The VFR seems porky. Has anyone ridden all three?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the futura is really cool. i'm still waiting for a few free minutes in my day to ride one.

my friend dennis rode all three. the ducati was his least favorite. he just didn't find it comfortable and the maintainance (i thought the st4 was a 4-valve head btw). the vfr was high on his list. it does everything well and he likes hondas a lot.

he did purchase the futura though. the only thing he doesn't like is when you drag the center stand on the right side, the lever hits your left foot. he said it feels weird and takes some time to get used to.

he bought a blue one. his only problem was the windscreen cracked. aprilia replaced it without issue.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 11:22 AM

Talking Duc or Fut?

I had the opp to ride both and I chose the Futura. I got it last year in Sept. Now have 7000 mi. on it and I really like it! I put up with an older BMW for 17 years and was out of the "march" of technology. This priller feels great, is fast (some $920.00 too fast), handles great, rides two up like she isn't even there! It has great lights, fast smooth shifting, reasonable wind protection, good luggage, too. Motor is good; has plenty for me with a great rush and must be fairly tough as Haga, it seems, hasn't broken his. Some are not satisfied with the sound but slip-ons are available as is tune-edit software from Australia. I had a trackday with it and had a good time even tho I couldn't afford to crash or come too close. It tops at around 145 or so. Try over on Apriliaforum for some other's impressions. Best time to buy would be late in the year as there will be good discounts. No changes for 2003, as far as I can tell. I think it's a good choice considering the rest out there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:05 AM

Ditto for Futura

The ST4s is a great bike with a slight edge for track work. The Futura is a superior road bike. As Norem of Motorcyclist stated "The Ducati is a 10% better track bike than the Futura, but the Futura is a 100% better road bike than the Ducati."

That was my feeling as well after riding both. The Futura is a very comfortable, agile sport-tourer, with an emphasis on "sport". The Ducati had less than ideal ergos for me and the seat sucks (universal opinion I'm told), nice motor, firm suspension. The maintenance issue certainly gives a nod in Aprilia's direction and reliability has not been an issue with the Rotax motor.

Finally, you can pick up a Futura for around $11-12K (01's & 02's are still out there) the best price I found on an ST4s was $14K, so there's a good deal of sheckles between the two.

Ride Safe.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode