Mille R. RS 250??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Mille R. RS 250???

Does anyone out there own any of these bikes?

If so, I'd appreciate some input of what you think of them.

What with the Gestapo patroling my favorite roads lately, I'm contemplating adding track days and maybe club racing to my riding experience and from what I have read, these are pretty good track bikes.

My 900SS has its 207s chewed up pretty much to the edges.

Thanks for you help.

Once you try track, you never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 07:32 PM
Founder

I've ridden an RS50 does that count?

The most fun I've ever had with a bike that tops out at 60mph.

But to go back to your question... I have two dream bikes, a 996R and an RS250. If you can grab an RS I'm gonna have to take a vacation so I can steal a ride from ya.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
But to go back to your question... I have two dream bikes, a 996R and an RS250. If you can grab an RS I'm gonna have to take a vacation so I can steal a ride from ya.
If I do get either one, you'll be the first to know, Robert.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:18 PM

Cool My 2 cents

I own a Aprilia RSV and its a great bike. I have rode a RS 250 and it was very cool but as I am 6'4" I was WAY to big for the bike. Besides the RS 250 didn't have enough GO to it. If you are running a 900SS I am afriad you will be very sad with the output of a RS 250. It will however teach you all about carrying corner speed. The Mille is a blast - LOVE that torque! If you get a Mille you will be all smiles! I on the other hand have a CBR 600 to thrash on at the track. Italian bikes are just to pricey to maintain when worked that hard. CBR parts are cheap in comparison.

SaPPeR - RSV

http://strohman.com
2000.5 Aprilia RSV Mille
2000 CBR 600 F4
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Billy2stroke Send a message via Yahoo to Billy2stroke
My first bike (and current bike) the RS250. It's all about maintaining good corner speed. Which isn't so hard the bike's about 30 kg's (66 lbs) lighter than the 600cc bikes. Good brakes combined with its very light wight means braking late always looks easy.

I keep the rev's as least above 7000rpm, changing at 'bout 11,000rpm when I cruse the streets... riding a 2-stroke slowly isn't possible, just noisy and boring if you do.

There's only three ways to ride a 2-stroke:
1) Flat-out-on-the-throttle
2) Coasting always at high rpm (the engine loves it)
3) Hard-on-the-brakes

I'm impressed with the looks and the power from corner to corner and it's handling and brakes but after 150km/hr I'm dissapointed. My next bike will be the RSV.

Great fun to ride in the twisty stuff.
Not such a good tourer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:16 AM

Exclamation

forgot to mention that although the bike's not as torquey as a 600cc 4-stroke after 150km/hr
it still accelerates from 0 to 160km quickly. Cant tell you how quick though... not without suiting up.

Top speed I have reached was 180'ish km/hr before I had to break for a stop sign just over a bind hill. Top speed supposed to be 208km's/hr.

Good on track day.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 03:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to R1_RocketJockey Send a message via Yahoo to R1_RocketJockey
Cool

I understand that the Mille is the better of the 2.

A friend will help you move.
A true friend will help you move the bodies.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Thanks for all of your input, guys.

As it turns out, all my riding buddies have 600s and I want to ride with them, so I am going with an R6.

I sold my 900SS last night. Before I handed it over, I rode it to make sure it was running fine. It's real hard to ride with tears in your eyes. I sold it to a real nice guy who I think is going to take good care of it.

I can see how the 250 would be the better track bike. It would probably help sharpen corner entry skills AND it is less expen$ive.

If I win the lottery, I will definitely buy both.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 01:13 AM

Question I dont understand

I dont get it, why sell the 900ss? Because your friends had 600's! Why not wait till they get bigger bikes or something? Then they can ride with you... Doesn't everyone want a bigger bike? I dont get it? I cant figure it out? Doesn't make sense? pls explain!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: I dont understand

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy2stroke
I dont get it, why sell the 900ss? Because your friends had 600's! Why not wait till they get bigger bikes or something? Then they can ride with you... Doesn't everyone want a bigger bike? I dont get it? I cant figure it out? Doesn't make sense? pls explain!
Good question.

My riding skills are getting to the point where I was desiring a suspension system that was a few generations newer, so I ws considering selling the Duck sooner or later anyway. Also, I would never want to race an open class bike anyway. I have no desire to exceed 130mph in a pack of motorcycles. Yes, I know an R6 can go that fast, too, but I intend to only race on rather tight courses eg. the Streets of Willow. I talked with one of my buddies about this two nights ago and he agreed, he too didn't want a litre bike for the track also. We both feel we have nothing to prove about our ability to go fast in a straight line. However since we both ride Mt. Palomar ocassionly, which is uphill, it would be nice to have a litre bike to keep up with the guys riding them. He is a very fast rider and he gains on them in the turns, but when any short straightaway comes up, he looses ground. I am not near as fast as he, but I still want an R1 anyway.

Also, I was at Willow Springs a few months ago, just checking out a WSMC race at the big track and struck up a conversation with a couple who were both racing RS 250s. The female had campaigned a 900ss in racing and told me that the Duck was unstable at track speeds. She said her lap times immediately went down by 2-3 seconds when she got the RS250.

Also, I would not feel right about racing, and potentially wadding, a numbered series bike.

So, to answer your questions, my friends are probably never going to get bigger bikes, at least for racing.

We do want bigger bikes, just nor for racing.

If I had the $ I'd get a RS 250 and a R6 for the track and an R1 and Mille R for the street.

Until I win the Lottery, I'm hoping for an R6 soon and an R1 later.

There you have it, call me chicken if you like but what if you and I raced and I beat you. What would be your excuse? What if your beat me on a litre bike? Big deal.

Please understand, I LOVED my Ducati. Just ask my last TWO WIVES. Divorcing them was a lot easier than selling my 900ss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode