sportbike school and the solo rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hello fellow bikers
I bought my CBR600F4 last year, but I rode it for a month before I put it away for winter storage. I am a new rider, but I do want to become a better rider, especially when it comes to executing those turns. What do you think of those sportbike schools? Is it worth the money to go and attend one of those schools to become a better rider? I live in Canada, so it would be a lot more expensive for me.

I have been riding solo most of the time. I would like to find a buddy to go riding with me. But where to find? I live in vancouver lower mainland, B.C. I know sportbikers are friendly towards each other on the street, but when it comes to approaching another sportbike rider, when they are not on their bike, it seems different. Tell me if I am wrong. I would like to know if I can just approach someone and ask them if they would like to go riding, without them thinking that I am some weirdo. What are your opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 12:39 PM

Welcome to SBW!

I hope that some one near where you live will see your posting and respond. Also you can post in the Local Riders forum.
As to your question of walking up to someone there is nothing wrong with that. Half of the people I ride with are people that I met while stopping for gas or at the local hangout.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hey Susan Welcome,

Susan, any good biker will be more than happy to share with a new rider. I know I wish I had someone to show me the ins and outs when I was a new guy. It would have saved me alot of grief. I really appreciate someone who wants to hear what I have to share.

I would suggest posting in the Women's rider forum. There are many good riders in Canada - especially cbrchick (Kirsty). She is heavily involved in all kinds of riding and racing etc. and she's quite a cool gal. Perhaps you may want to send her a private message. She has also organized a group of riders numbering about 60 that get together relatively often. She's in Halifax though... but it would still be worth contacting her. Good luck and welcome!!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 01:50 PM

Talking

Welcome to the site. It is always good to see more women getting into the sport. You should be able to find riders in your area.
Try this:
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/member...&action=search
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Twistiesman. I guess i just needed some encouragement to go up and ask someone if they want to go riding with me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 03:03 PM

Welcome.

I was introduced to SBW by Dave(Twistiesman) and several others in a group at an area hangout. We have all become good friends through this chance meeting.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 04:23 PM

Hi ya!!

Welcome to the site!

I took Keith Code's Superbike School a few years ago at Mid Ohio and had a great time. I learned more on the track that day than I had learned in years of riding. Although Keith doesn't expressly teach this I learned how to slide both ends and not end up with a large laundry problem. Another nice thing about Keith is... he will take the time to talk with you about riding on the phone. Very interesting man to talk with.

I also took Jerry Wood's Penguin Racing School, also at Mid Ohio. I ended up using Jerry's race bike and the poor guy spent most of the day following me to see if I was gonna wad it up. During Jerry's school (no, he doesn't teach this either) I discovered that if someone won't move over and let me by on the inside a quick grab of the front brake will chirp the tire and scare the dude out of the way.

As you have guessed by now I really enjoyed both schools. But let me make a suggestion... rent one of the school's bikes... it is more money I know but the advantage is that you won't be worried about trashing your own bike leaving your mind free to concentrate on learning. Also.. you will be using a track prepared machine that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode