new girl rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm new here, and I'm new to sport bikes. I joined this forum to get information, and learn as much as I can before I purchase my first bike.

I'm looking at a couple of different options. The first is the Kawasaki Ninja 250, or possibly the Aprilia RS 50, or 125. I don't know which one would be better and for what reasons. I'm looking for something light and easy to handle. I don't want to get one that I will outgrow too fast though. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:31 PM

Welcome to SBW!

You should see the performance ratings for each bike. If one has a better performance it will be worth keeping so you don't get bored in the future. Don't go too high with the performance. Those three bikes shouldn't rate outrageously high. Hope you get what you want and have fun.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:37 PM

Here in Chicago, the Motorcycle Safety Classes fill up fast so I am currently in the middle of training three people to get there license - a guy I met in a Motorcycle Online forum (22 yr old), my wife (30-something !), and my dad (62 - today !).

I would highly recommend taking an MSF class before deciding on a bike to buy. That way, you can drop someone else's bike a few times. We are using a used Ninja 500 for training and it has been dropped 5 times: guy 3, wife 0, dad 2. I got the guy and wife already riding on the street, but my dad is not there yet.

My wife is 5' 5 and weighs 150 lbs (had a baby 4 months ago - not down to her weight yet !). She likes the 500 a lot, but I can already tell that she is going to outgrow it - a light 600 (ZX6(R)) is probably her bike.

I would recommend a used Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500. The fairing on the Ninja can be damaged quite a bit from a slight tip over.

Get a year of riding under your belt, then decide.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:29 AM

Welcome.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 04:46 AM

Welcome --

Enjoy the site. Good luck with your decision.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 05:41 AM

Glad to have ya
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 08:45 AM

Cool

Welcome to SBW!

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 05:01 AM

Smile

Hi,
I just got my first bike about a month ago (Ninja 250) and I reallly like the bike. It has been easy to handle and very forgiving when I make a mistake. The cost is pretty reasonable so if I outgrow the bike it's not a big deal. Since I am not a speed freak (relative to the rest of the forum) I think it will take me awhile to outgrow this bike. Plus it is a lot of fun on curvy back roads. The only drawback I can think of with this bike is the break in period (first 500 miles). Kawi suggests that you stay at 4000 rpm (in 6th gear 36 mph). If I had followed this breakin schedule I would have become a hood ornament in the Dallas area. I hope this helps you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 07:49 AM

Follow-up on first post...

One of the problems with the super-light bikes is stability and usability at highway speeds.

Over Easter, I rode the Ninja 500 to my in-laws. I wanted to see how the bike behaved at speed. With no cross-wind and above 75-80 mph, the bike felt very light in the front. It did not have confidence inspiring stability. Acceleration at 60+ mph is also a little lacking, and I don't consider myself a "sport" rider.

The Ninja 500 dry-weight is 390 lbs, the 250 is 300 lbs. I think a highway bike should weight over 400 lbs.

IMHO, a 500 is the minimum size in terms of power and weight for highway use. If doing quite a bit of highway riding, get a bike with a fairing - Ninja 500 over GS500.

BTW, the Ninja ZX6 is a perfect highway bike - 430 lbs, plenty of power, and a fairing ! But maybe a little too much for a starter bike.

Just my opinion...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 02:23 PM

Welcome to SBW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode