Is 19 Too old to learn to ride? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Hey hows everyone doin... Lately i have been thinkin about getting a bike. I got a car handed to me from a relative, and im pretty sure im gonna sell it and buy a used bike.
Heres my "problem", im 19 and have never even driven a dirtbike! The closest ive come is a, dare I say it, Moped So... im afraid to jump right onto a 500-600cc machine.
So what do you think? Do I have a chance? Im really into learnin how to ride and the ambition is ambition there. So any ideas? Im thinking of stealin my friends lil brother's dirt bike for practice. And in July I will be taking a motorcycle safety course.

And if 19 isnt too old to start learning, how about some tips and pointers. Oh and yes, I am deathly afraid.
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 08:34 AM

I would recommend take a MSF class. When I did mine many years ago they let you use there bikes (or your own). I think I was on a 250. This would give you a good idea if a bike is for you, with out having to buy one.

And just remeber to take it easy.

Last edited by Dan F4; 04-14-2001 at 09:07 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 10:38 AM

Nah, that's nowhere near too old. There is no such thing as too old to learn! I took the MSF class with a gentleman that was in his 80s! Just be careful and don't let the throttle tempt you beyond what you can handle.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 03:47 PM

Learning to ride a 19 is a great idea absolutly nothin wrong with it, infact that is a young age to learn to ride, I always knew how to ride but didn't get to really ride a bike til i was 18 and I've been told I look like I've been riding all my life, fortunatly it's not like sex where i would have laughed at u and called u sissy
J/K, to all virgins
Anyways, good lucc on your dessision, and what ever u do just be careful.

Oh yea there is nothin wrong with being scared or afraid of riding a sportbike, it's perfectly normal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 06:08 PM

19 too old? I sat on my first motorcycle at 20 and got my first lesson after my 21st. I started on a 600. No big deal, just use your head. Good luck!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 07:03 PM

Welcome.

Practicing on your friend's little bro's bike is a very good idea, especially while you are waiting for your MSF course. There is no such thing as to old to learn. If you ever get to the point that you are not learning while riding then you had better park the damn thing because you are about to DIE. It is a continuous learning experience and I imagine everyone on SBW will agree with me. Age is a potential mental problem when it comes to bikes.

BTW, we will still make fun of you about the MoPed though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 07:12 PM

19 to old? I don't think so. I'm 20 and just got my first bike. I never rode a moped or dirtbike or anything for that matter. I've just always loved sport bikes so I got one. The number one thing is to make sure NOT TO BE AFRAID. If you let the bike ride you and you not ride it u'll lay it down before u can think!

Keddie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Welcome.

BTW, we will still make fun of you about the MoPed though.
Yeah i was wondering why noone has yet

Yesterday I stopped over my friends house while i was home from school, I havent seen the kid in about a month, and sittin in his garage was a brand new GSX-R 750. I almost stole it So the kid said that he'll let me practice the whole shifting techniques and stuff on his 400 EX. Then after that ill probably hop onto the dirt bike.

BTW- anyone want to buy a 1976 Moped???
Kyle
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 05:34 PM

Smile

Hiya!!
Welcome to SBW!!
Learn well.....
go slowly.........
take the MSF course......
ride your own pace.
enjoy!!!!

Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by katana600
Hiya!!
Welcome to SBW!!
Learn well.....
go slowly.........
take the MSF course......
ride your own pace.
enjoy!!!!

Jim
Thanks!
I already am.....
VERY slowly.....
Already signed up.....
Like I said before: VERY slowly.....for the time being
I plan to.

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode