Newbie is an understatement - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi. Just found this place and thought I would register and post.

I'm new to the bike scene again but used to not be. I used to ride a lot when I was very young but stopped when my best friend passed away in an ATV racing accident. Iím 22 now and ever since then I have longed to go back but have not seriously thought about it until now. My philosophy is life is short so I need to just do the things I want to now before I cannot. However, Iím feeling a little intimidated. It has been so long that I wonder how I could even ride anymore. So, help this newbie out. Any suggestions on bikes, tips and other useful information would be appreciated. I donít want a sport bike that will blow me away, but I donít want something that I will Ďout growí too quickly.

Thanks for the info.

-Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 09:51 AM
Pete

Jet, welcome to SBW!

I can't think of a more appropriate time to recommend getting a good used dual-purpose motorcycle. Get your skills/confidence back up on the dirt over a couple months, then take it out on the pavement when you feel ready. After that, I think you'll be in a better position to make a decision about a sportbike.

P.S. to others: Don't you wish we had more young people with this kind of mentality coming into the sport?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 11:44 AM

Welcome --

I am fairly new to riding, but I found that taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class helped my confidence out and also increased my knowledge.

I thought about getting at 600 sport bike, but I knew I would out grow it, so I jumped on a good deal on a 900. I do not think it is too powerful, just as long as you can handle not gasing it.

I feel really confortable on it now. What ever you decide to do, just make sure you do it as safe as possible.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Yeah, I will take a course.. no way I am jumping on a bike without a class. Also, I don't have any place to really relearn to ride on dirt 'cause I now live in a metro area and know no one around me... unless I could go to my foke's place but that is 5 hours away.

So you went right to a 900? I was also thinking of a 600 just to be safe. I don't want to end up as roadkill. Guess I will just have to research more and see what is right for me... they need a 'try before you buy' plan =)

-Jet
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 05:21 PM

Yea, the 900 is not that bad... Some people say that you will kill yourself, but as long as you are not heavy on the throttle you will be fine.. I have been riding it non-stop since I got it down here finally. It is such an awesome feeling riding... Just need to find some twisties around here..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up Hiya!!

Welcome!!
The trick here is to be smart........DO NOT ride past your abilities!!!!!!!! Ride when,what where and how that is comfortable for YOU. Learning the right way is a slow and patient process. Enjoy but don't be pressured into situations that you are not yet able to ride in. Get used to your ride,600 or 900, and your natural reflexes will develope. By all means take a rider course.
Be safe and be smart,buddy!!

Jim
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 06:20 AM

Yea.. great knowledge and information passed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode