totally new to motorcycle world - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Greetings,

I have never had or driven a motorcycle, but at 34, I am thinking about it. I would like to live a car free lifestyle
and depend on my bicycle and bus system, however, for slightly longer trips, I would like
to have a motorcycle (or even a motorscooter) to use when necessary. I am primarily looking for
something to use on city streets around town, not on highways or long distance. I would
also like a relatively inexpensive yet reliable bike that is fairly easy to maintain. (I know,
wish in one hand...) Also, I am not looking for a status symbol or anything with more power
than I need. I am planning on taking the MSF course soon, and am just starting to look, so
any ideas and any suggestions would be helpful.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 09:04 PM
Dad

Could I ask what your motivation for this is? Is it an environmental thing, a cost thing, a fun thing, or none of the above? The reason I ask is because there is no single pat answer to this question. There are so many different types, styles and sizes of bikes, each with it's own niche, that it would help to better understand your needs in order to properly answer your question. Also, FYI, this board is primarily for high performance bikes where speed and handling are the primary concern with comfort, practicality, economy, and such taking a back seat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Could I ask what your motivation for this is? Is it an environmental thing, a cost thing, a fun thing, or none of the above? The reason I ask is because there is no single pat answer to this question. There are so many different types, styles and sizes of bikes, each with it's own niche, that it would help to better understand your needs in order to properly answer your question. Also, FYI, this board is primarily for high performance bikes where speed and handling are the primary concern with comfort, practicality, economy, and such taking a back seat.
well said.

i suggest a ninja 250. small, not to much power, good fuel mileage, and very inexpensive. or even the vtr 250.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Dad,

Thanks for the response, and I should of said a little more.

Actually it is a little bit of all you mentioned. The main reason I want to start out slower is that I have never ridden before, and with all the scare stories I hear I do not want to be tempted with more than I can handle at first. After I get more experience I would then want to move up. Also, if this is not the best place for me to start can you suggest a better forum or site?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 02:25 PM

Welcome

I do suggest the EX-500R by Kawasaki. This is a great starter bike and moves up with your needs and skill level. I do however suggest not to use it for everyday use. Use it as a weekend vehicle. There are too many idiots on the road with 2 tons behind thier crapy driving.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:26 AM

For what you are interested in doing, I recommend the Suzuki Bandit 600, Suzuki SV650, Katana 600, Yamaha YZF600R, used Honda VFR750 '94-96model. All of these are reliable, relatively inexpensive and pretty good learner bikes if you have self control.

My $.02

BTW, Welcome to SBW.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dms1066
Greetings,

I have never had or driven a motorcycle, but at 34, I am thinking about it. I am primarily looking for
something to use on city streets around town, not on highways or long distance. I would
also like a relatively inexpensive yet reliable bike that is fairly easy to maintain. (I know,
wish in one hand...) Also, I am not looking for a status symbol or anything with more power
than I need.
TIA
Suzuki GS500E. Small & light with short gearing for city streets. Aircooled twin. Very inexpensive to maintain, insure, & register. Yet is very reliable. People actually race this bike! Definitely not a status symbol. A favorite among beginning riders due to its simplicity, low cost, & overall ease of handling. Makes a great city bike. Yours new for US$3,300. Plenty available used for a song.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:36 AM

Welcome to SBW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode