Hi everybody - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Hello! I just joined this forum. I am a new rider in the Seattle area. I have been riding/racing dirt bikes (cross country and motocross) for 3 years now and just took the MSF course (way easy but good info). Both our instructors were sportbike riders (one w/a RC51, one with a CBR900RR) and I'm glad I took it. So now I get to go shopping! Already have a helmet and jacket on layaway (Joe Rocket Meteor & Arai Signet--good stuff? What else to look for?) and I've been looking at a used EX500. My dirtbike friends are all scared stiff of me riding on the road and trying to convince me to get a dual sport or Ninja 250 for my first bike but I think I would get bored too quickly.

So how many other riders from the Western Washington area? How many other female riders? Any suggestions/comments/things I should know?

I post on Dirtrider.Net a lot too, if there's any other dirt riders out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 09:59 AM

Welcome to SBW. You can't go wrong with the EX500. Good to see your gearing up first. Most new riders seem like they throw all there money at the bike and come up short when it comes to good gear.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Well, I figure if I at least buy helmet, gloves and jacket, I can test-ride used bikes and ride friend's bikes. And it makes my mom happy. (Actually she's not thrilled that I'm buying a bike at all--my dirt bike made her cringe and if I were still living at home she wouldn't let me get one at all!)

What about boots? Being female, I'd prefer something a little more stylish, but I know that off-road, boots are one of the most key parts of your equipment. I rode without boots for the first 2 years and bought a cheap pair when I bought my bike. I traded those in after a few months on a much more expensive pair and would NEVER ride without them again. Of course, you don't have to kickstart a street bike, and I won't be jumping it, or hitting rocks/trees/stumps/roots/other bikes (hopefully).

My off-road experience has given me a healthy fear of falling and a real appreciation for the right kind of equipment. I have over $1000 in my off-road gear!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 10:27 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Rug Burn
Welcome to SBW. You can't go wrong with the EX500. Good to see your gearing up first. Most new riders seem like they throw all there money at the bike and come up short when it comes to good gear.
Ive ridden one on a few occasions, great bike !
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 10:36 AM

Welcome to SBW.

Going to move this to "Members"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 06:33 PM

HEY HEY HEY...firecracker! Sup?...I'm the FunkeeMunkee. Welcome to Sportbikeworld...can't go wrong with a EX500 or a 250R...Hope to see you around!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 08:39 PM

Welcome! I think you'll really like the EX. That was my first street bike and it is much fun. As far as the boots, definately get a good pair. I have Alpinestars now and love them. If, GOD forbid, you happen to go down, you'll be glad you have a good pair. Take care.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 12:15 AM

Talking Welcome

Welcome to SBW! The 500 is a good bike to start on. I'm sure you will get bored but it takes a long while on that bike. People still race them so they must be good. Good decision getting the gear first. I'm sure you from the dirt how much contact with the ground can hurt.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 09:21 AM

Smile Welcome!!

Hiya!!
Sounds to me like you know to buy quality gear! Always a good investment.
The EX500 is a good place to start!!
See ya around!!

Jim
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 12:53 PM

Hey there, welcome to SBW!! Wanted to tell you about the boots I have. They are Nankai brand, model #SDB82 touring boots and seem to be pretty awesome. They are plain looking (certainly not what I consider STYLISH, but they don't look "manly" either. ) They are street riding boots and I have crashed tested them and they held up wonderfully. I mashed both feet pretty hard in them but didn't crush or break anything and the boots are barely even scuffed after a long slide on the asphalt. I would highly recommend these boots. I've attached a picture at the bottom so you can see what they look like. I'd try to find a place locally so you can try them on. There are many brands of street riding boots that are plain black. I like the way my husband's Alpinestars look, but they are pretty "manly" and haven't held up as well as he'd hoped. Good luck with whatever you decide and sounds like you're going about it in a smart fashion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boots.jpg (9.7 KB, 74 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode