Need Input!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hello,

First I would like to say that this site and forum looks very fun and informative. Secondly, I need advice! I am 22, and I'm looking to buy my first sport bike (first bike, for that matter). I am most interested in the CBR600F4i (US), and the Kaw ZX-6R is a close second. The reason? The bikes are VERY competitive, but also the most comfortable for day to day use. Even Martin Child, popular "wild child" road tester for the UK "BIKE" magazine said that he would choose the Yamaha R6 as a weekend bike, but he would have the CBR for a bike to own and do big mileage on. I want a bike that would be exciting, reliable & well built, comfortable as possible, and beautiful to look at. I don't want a bike that I would grown out of soon, or at all!!!
Like I said before, although I've ridden any chance I got, I've never owned a bike. And, I want to make the right choices. I need to know what would be the best way to go about purchasing. And, if it would be better/easier to finance through the dealer, or get a loan from the bank...??? What do I do? I've talked with a dealer (Honda), and he ran a credit check, but there wasn't enough in my history to satisfy Honda. He said that with a co-signer there would probably be no problem, but there is with me. The reason I've never had a bike is because my parents have always thought them to be too dangerous. They've always said, if you get one, it'll be when you can afford one. I'm sure that they won't sign for me, so what do I do? I can afford the payments, but with limited credit history (I've done nothing to reflect negatively) will I be able to negotiate a deal?
I know this has been a long post, but I hope that some of you can give me some good advice, on whatever! Hey, I'm new to the whole thing. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.....Any topic.....Thanks for reading.
Also, feel free to E-mail me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silverstreak.jpg (61.5 KB, 85 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 02:53 PM

Welcome. Now that we have that out of the way...

Looks like the choice has been made and a fine one at that. F4i it is.

Dealers are usually going to be somewhat easier to finace with from a convenience standpoint but it is not the best way to go in my opinion. Try a credit union or your personal bank. You need someone that you do business with. That should take care of the credit history thing. Damn I wish I could say I didn't have much of a credit history at age 22 but that is a whole other story. If you make decent money then you shouldn't have a problem getting financing. Another option you could choose if you are good at taking care of your bills... oh, you don't have bills. Apply for a low interest credit card and buy the bike with that if they give you a large enough line of credit. You can then pay it off as if it were a loan.

That is just some things to look at.

BTW, get the Honda because your username would sound pretty stupid if you owned a Kawasaki plus Hondas rule.

Let me know if you want to install the sport touring package like my RC-51 has.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 12:54 AM

They say that bad credit is better than no credit. I started with a cosigned car loan a while back and then a couple credit cards. Signature loans will help as well to build your credit.
Problem is, you probably may not get enough $ with a signature loan or 2 to buy a new bike. And if you do the credit card thing, you will need several cards that may stick you with high rates since you are untested. Perhaps just buy a cheaper used bike and ride it for a while till you get a little more established and then get a new bike?
But the F4i is a sweet bike, I wouldn't call it a starter bike though.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 05:45 AM

Glad to have ya at SBW.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 02:37 PM

Welcome to the forums. Be persistent on the loan thing. I understand the dealerships can work miracles compared to banks, so that might be the route you have to go with until you get some credit history going.

Good luck with whatever you choose and ride safe!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Smile Thanks....

I'd like to thank each of you so for for the advice. It is very helpful. Also, funksouljon, although
I realize that the F4i is not strictly a "starter" bike, it is a bike that IS one of the most comfortable
examples in the competitive "top-end" 600cc market.
Like I said, thanks for the advice everyone. And hey, keep it coming. Can't get enought good
advice.

Ron
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 09:33 PM

Cool

Hey CBRguy22 what part of MS. are you in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode