Looking for my first bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi there... This a great forum BTW...
Well here it is.. I've decided that at 37 I want a sport Bike. No other reason than I do a lot of Indy and Bike potography professionally and I think that I would really enjoy it.
The obvious predicament is which one.... I was thinking of the following: Yama R6 2001.. Then take a couple of driving courses early in the year.

I really only want it to have some fun on weekends and take short trips into the city and back.

I am not a small guy and have sat on one and feels comfortable.
5'-10 250lbs. To much football in college (Working on 250 part).

So whad ya think.

Kriss

UPDATE:
So I got to sit on a couple of bikes and low and behold I hate the R6 Yammy.. It turns out that I love the Suz. 600 GSX-R600 (2000 model ... Wide Tank) and the Honda 600f4. I'm kinda partial to the Suz. IT seems that I like to sit "In" the bike as apposed to ontop of it.

Anybody got any feedback on the Suz model. It seems that the version I sat on the special edition one with the wilder paint job.
I like the colors though.. Lastly as a computer consultant I thought that you could base a bike decision on spec. like a copmuter... WRONG! you have to sit on it and feel the machine.
Any feedback is really welcome

Last edited by krisswarner; 02-17-2001 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 10:43 AM

Welcome to SBW.

I think the R6 would be good choice.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 12:21 PM

Exclamation

I think the R6 is a lot of bike for a beginner. I know some here disagree and your probably gonna buy what you want anyway. This topic has been discussed several times here. There are several bikes out there better suited to a beginner. If you want to know about them ask, but I'm guessing you've got your heart set on the R6.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 05:29 PM

Smile Welcome!!

Hiya!!
Kriss,at 250lbs a 600 may not live up to your expectations. The R6,F4 or ZX6R are all worth a look at tho'!
Enjoy and ride safe and taking those classes is a fine idea!!

Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 06:29 PM
Founder

Kriss,

You seem pretty mature (That's what us old people call each other now days)

If you like the Gixxer6 and feel that you would be willing to take the time to learn to ride, and not go crazy and try to be like Nicky Hayden your first week then I say go for it.

One thing that I HIGHLY suggest though, and it could very well be a life-saver (Plus it will lower your insurance rates)

Motorcycle Safety Foundation
http://www.msf-usa.org

P.S. Welcome to Sportbike World!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 05:47 PM

Unhappy DONT HATE

HAY!! You dont have to hate on the r6 like that, luckly i like gixxers too becuzz im affended.

But seriously, I had to make that exact same dissision a few days bacc as u can see i made it, but get what fits u even though the r6 is faster and cost more the gixxer has its own unique body and not ta menchin tho 600's handles like the powerful 750. So regardles u win.

Now dont be haten on the r6 becuzz.........

If u only knew

Anyways,
GOOD LUCC, RIDE SAFE
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 05:58 PM

Do as Robert suggest and to the safety course. Also, make sure you get some protective gear. The 600 is not a bad choice for a begginer rider @ 250 lbs. You are right the R6 is a bit more leaned than the others but the performance is great. Oh well it's up to you. Enjoy the the bike, whatever it may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode