hi - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hi, my name is Joe...I'm in California in the bay area...

I started reading this site last year sometime when I was thinking about getting a bike. Mixed in with all the bs I found a whole lot of valuable info.

So anyway I went and took a riding safety course, bought some leathers, and later bought a '98 F3. Thankfully my months of reading up on this site had prepared me for the inevitability of my dropping the bike, cause I dropped it about 150 miles after buying it. Yeah, yeah...laugh it up... it was in a gas station parking lot I started riding up this really steep back entrance and suddenly realized it was barricaded by a row of cars so I had to stop on the incline. There I was, gripping the brake like a madman and wondering how I was going to turn around. Very slowly and carefully was my conclusion. Well, it didn't work, and before I knew I was tipping I was on the ground. Luckily (or not so luckily) the bike had already been dropped on that side and had some very light (almost invisible) scratches, so I didn't feel bad for more than about 3 days. Oh, and I learned not to ride into unfamiliar gas stations' back entrances.

Well, since the "incident", I've put about 3000 miles on the bike and have loved every one of em. I know I'm just a newbie but I'm slowly getting experience and so far it's going great...

-joe

ps I know the handle is really gay but from the way some of you talk I figured that kind of thing fits right in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:03 PM

Thumbs up

Hiya!!
Joe,I think most riders have had,shall we say "interesting" incidents like yours. I'd say it's all part of the learning curve.
Welcome to SBW!!!
jim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:27 PM

Talking Welcome back!

Welcome back, Joe. Glad to hear that you're getting some good riding experience and sounds like you took some advice and made some smart decisions. As for the drop, gas stations are the WORST for that. UGH! I've been there too.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:55 PM

Welcome to SBW. I wouldn't feel to bad if I were you, dropping the bike is part of the learning process. I have had 6 wrecks on the bike, I have learned from all of them except the last one (long story). I also have 100,000 miles or more under my belt. Gas stations do suck some of them have that concrete coating that makse it real slippery.

Hope you have loads of fun on your ride and can expect many more years of fun
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 03:03 AM

It sure took along time to introduce yourself but we are glad that you are here.

Don't worry about dropping your first bike cause almost all of us have been there. It is better to drop it then to crash it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerocket

ps I know the handle is really gay but from the way some of you talk I figured that kind of thing fits right in
I don't think your handle is that gay sounding. I thought you were talking about that strange rear entrances comment. Oh yeah, welcome, make yourself at home.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 09:01 AM

Welcome back.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 06:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
welcome joe. gas stations do suck.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 07:25 AM

Welcome back Jos! I have a 98 F3 also. The red one!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

JDM, that's cool that you have a 98 F3 also...I have seen the red one up close in Berkeley once and though red isn't normally my color I thought it looked great.

Mine is the "desert storm" color scheme that a lot of people don't like. It's black, tan, and maroon-ish. I think it looks pretty good though.

By the way, since my "incident" deepened the light scratches on the lower right fairing, I was thinking about replacing it. It's not very bad and most people don't notice but I know it's there

I looked on one web site and it was $285 for that piece (ouch). Is that about right? Also, it let me pick my color on the site...which means it would come painted and with the decals, right?

A while back I found a site which sold OEM parts...you would email them that manufacturer's part # and they claimed they could get things for up to 40% off or something. Anyone know the address to that site? I lost it.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode