New rider from Jacksonville, NC. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Talking New rider from Jacksonville, NC.

Hello everyone, my name is Jay. I am new here and looking for other riders in my aera. I ride a 2000 honda cbr929rr and I love it. I just have one problem with it. Can someone tell me were I would post a tread about shocks and all. Thanks everyone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda cbr929rr View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Jay. I am new here and looking for other riders in my aera. I ride a 2000 honda cbr929rr and I love it. I just have one problem with it. Can someone tell me were I would post a tread about shocks and all. Thanks everyone..
Welcome. I'm in Jville. What's the question about your shocks and all?

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey. My bike has a lowering kit on it and I don't want to raise it up... When i'm on it, it is fine but as soon as someone gets on the back of the bike with me. My linc. plate will hit and scrape my rear tirer. So I was woundering if there was away to stiffin the rear shock up some with out throughing everything out of balance...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Strength and Honor

Yes, when taking a passenger for a ride most sportbikes require some adjustment to the shock using a spanner wrench. Typically the wrench comes with the bike from the dealer and instructions are included with the owner's manual.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Kanwisch : Okay I looked for the stuff you are talking about but I got my bike used and it didn't come with the tools or the owners manual.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda cbr929rr View Post
Hey. My bike has a lowering kit on it and I don't want to raise it up... When i'm on it, it is fine but as soon as someone gets on the back of the bike with me. My linc. plate will hit and scrape my rear tirer. So I was woundering if there was away to stiffin the rear shock up some with out throughing everything out of balance...
Question sounds vaguely familiar. Have you posted that elsewhere?

At any rate, the rear suspension is a little more complicated than it appears. The shock does not directly connect to the swingarm on sportbikes in cases, such as with dirtbikes, or cruisers. It's connected via a set of linkages, and the linkage affect the overall spring rate of the suspension (known as "linkage ratio"). Because of this, lengthening the linkage (by using lowering links) will change the progression in the suspension, making it softer, as well as lowering the bike. Using a shorter link would increase the suspension rate, as well as raising the suspension up.

I don't typically recommend lowering links to be used on most motorcycles because of this. If the bike truly needs to be lowered, the shock should be rebuilt to have less travel, while retaining the linkage ratio designed into the machine for the most predictable use.

So the question comes down to what your reason for lowering the bike is, and what you want out of it as far as performance.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

DanQ: The bike was already lowered when I got it. I did not know this. When I took my brother for a ride on it my license plate will hit and scrap my back tire. Well I had to go and have a new tire put on anyway, so while I was there I got to talking about it with the guy that was doing the work, and he told me that it had been lowered and if I wanted he could raise it back up and he showed me how to do it and all. I have been riding it like this for a week now. I liked it better when it was lowered, it just seem more comfortable to me. It's not of the point that I am trying to get it to go faster or anything. For I don't even plane on racing the bike. But you never know....

And to answer the other ? no I have not posted this somewhere else.

Last edited by honda cbr929rr; 03-11-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: lift something out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode