New Rider from San Diego - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

New Rider from San Diego

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I just started the process of getting my motorcycle license. I'll be taking the permit test in a week and the MSF class in a month or so. I'm planning on borrowing a friends supermoto bike to get comfortable on the road before I buy a bike. When I do get my own bike, I'm planning on getting the new Yamaha FZ6R. It seems like a good beginners bike. I've ridden a dirt bike a handful of times, but I've never ridden a street bike. My riding background is mainly BMX racing and mountain biking. I'm into all forms of racing and I'm just starting to watch some of the AMA Superbike races and MotoGP (when I can find it on TV that is.)

My whole family rides and most of my friends. So it's time I joined them. But most of my family are Harley people. I'm getting some crap from them for getting a sport bike. But other then that, they're glad I'm going to be able to go on rides with them now. I'm really excited about this. I can't wait to get to the MSF class.

I have a lot to learn about riding and the bikes themselves so if I ask a dumb question, please be kind. I want to learn all aspects of the bikes. I like to be well informed on the equipment in any hobby I'm involved in.

Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll get on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonKerr View Post
Hello everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I just started the process of getting my motorcycle license. I'll be taking the permit test in a week and the MSF class in a month or so. I'm planning on borrowing a friends supermoto bike to get comfortable on the road before I buy a bike. When I do get my own bike, I'm planning on getting the new Yamaha FZ6R. It seems like a good beginners bike. I've ridden a dirt bike a handful of times, but I've never ridden a street bike. My riding background is mainly BMX racing and mountain biking. I'm into all forms of racing and I'm just starting to watch some of the AMA Superbike races and MotoGP (when I can find it on TV that is.)
Welcome

I wouldn't be in a rush to get onto something before the MSF class. That will teach you the absolute basics and present you with the best practices. Those who go in who already "knew" how to ride usually discover they had some bad habits that they now needed to break Following the class, keep on riding however possible so you don't lose the skills or training, and eventually follow it up with other formalized training (track schools, MSF Advanced, etc). Before you ask, rider training is the best modification for any motorcycle.

Quote:
My whole family rides and most of my friends. So it's time I joined them. But most of my family are Harley people. I'm getting some crap from them for getting a sport bike. But other then that, they're glad I'm going to be able to go on rides with them now. I'm really excited about this. I can't wait to get to the MSF class.
Thanks in advance for breaking any preconceived notions they may have had about our form of two-wheeled transport. One family at a time.....

Quote:
I have a lot to learn about riding and the bikes themselves so if I ask a dumb question, please be kind. I want to learn all aspects of the bikes. I like to be well informed on the equipment in any hobby I'm involved in.
Research using the Search is a good way to avoid asking the FAQs that many don't even bother responding to. If you manage to not ask for advice and then summarily ignore it with your own logic, you should be golden. Nothing bristles me more than someone who asks for direction and then posts why they are going to do the opposite with no experienced advice supporting them. That begs the question, "Why did you ask in the first place?"

Quote:
Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll get on here.
This has been my riding home for just that reason. Help comes with few pissing matches.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't plan on trying to ride anything until I get to the MSF class. I can't wait. But I want to do this the right way and be safe about it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Hey what MSF class are you taking? im in san diego too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode