New here and on the bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

New here and on the bike

Hello my name is Jacob and a new bike rider. I was just wanted to introduced my self and had a few questions. First my bike is a Ninja 250 and it scares me at times{first bike i ever rode}, i just have to get used to it. Turning i am practicing the most at and the least thing i like is wheni come around something how the wind blows. now i need to get a jacket, i want a good one but i dont have 400 to buy one lol. i have about 150 and wanted to get some input on some options. Should i just get a leather one, or this nylon/ mesh one? they both look good and where is a good place to buy? How about boots, i saw at the shop they have special riding boots that seem to be affordable are they a good investment. any tips or suggestions for a new rider i welcome all input.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM

One of my favorite jackets that's more in your range is the TourMaster Pivot 2 (http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...t-p-231_3.html). It's basically the little brother of the Transition 2, but has many of the same great features. It has waterproof zippers, full cold weather liner, document pocket, CE approved shoulder and elbow pads, a soft back pad, and is just a little shorter than the Transition 2, making it more comfortable on a street bike. My personal favorite feature is that all the front vents have a velcro design which makes them act more like scoops, so they never close on you while riding.

I'm pretty sure it only comes in black, so if you're looking for something with a little more color you may wanna look at the Transition 2 as well. It's only a few inches longer, and it actually comes with a little zippered pouch on the back to store your liner if it gets too warm.

But find any local bike shop and ask if they carry these. If so, go try both of them on, and sit on a ninja to see which one is more comfortable and to your liking. Either one should be under $200. If they try to charge you more, just find out which size you want, and order it direct.

Good luck, and have fun out there...

Mark
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Now I feel like an idiot, cuz i didn't even notice that there are multiple colors on that link I left you. Oh well...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

These Tour Master's are on sale if you are looking for a bargain

http://www.compacc.com/s/Bargains_Sp...s.cfm/y/0/f/28

They have other good ones too like First Gear and Fieldsheer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Strength and Honor

First, there are forum sponsors to check out for items of interest. Second, a common other recommendation is NewEnough.com, which also has great service.

The choice of jacket material kind of depends on your plans. Leather is more ideally suited if you plan to have it for quite a long time and possibly pair it with pants for going to a drag strip or doing some track schools. Leather isn't well suited, however, for rain so if you're thinking of riding through all kinds of weather I'd stick with the waterproof textiles or meshes.

Boots provide protection for your feet and ankles, so focus on those features of the boot. If you want to walk around in it a lot, avoid the race-focused boots because they're not fun for that purpose. You want leather, over-the-ankle. Choice of other features depends on your price range and, again, what you'll want to do with them. For instance, wearing them with leathers tucked in is different than wearing them with jeans over top.

And welcome to SBW, congrats on the bike choice (ideal for beginners), and get thee to a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode