few questions for a new rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

few questions for a new rider

i bought a 93 katana 600 as my first bike. i rode for about 4 months. i decided i wanted to get something a lil better so i sold to a friend. now im lookin for a good used bike for a fairly experienced rider. i found a 2003 CBR 954rr for 3 grand. in good shape but is missing (?) second gear. how difficult would it be and about how much to get that fixed. and also i feel im pretty comfy after riddin the katana for a lil while, is a 954rr a good bike for someone with intermediate experience? im a lil worried about poppin a wheely on accident. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Strength and Honor

IMO, the 954 will be dangerous for you. 4 mos is not very long unless you put a ton of mileage on it.

For a lost gear, presume you have to have the clutch fixed and ask around at local dealerships how much they'd want to replace the plates and gaskets.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

well the accidental wheely was all i was really concerned about. im not that "dare devilish" really. pretty responsible and respectful of these machines. but what would be a good bike for a guy like me. i dont have that big of a budget, only around 3 Gs. and i know for a fact that i kdont want anything under a 600. i would like a 650 or 750. i know i need something used but i dont want to buy from ebay. got ripped off with the katana.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 AM
Strength and Honor

Suzuki SV650S or Kawi 650R. Those are good entries into the supersports, again IMHO.

The wheelie is merely one of many, many risks with a much larger or "snappier" ride. Endos, surprises that you focus on and drive VERY quickly into, wrist control, etc.

EDIT: BTW, they are not only good entry bikes but I have seen a fair share of them on the track passing my by on my Ninja 600. They're loved by riders of all skill levels and have more mod options than you can shake a stick at.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM

LOL!!! You're a "fairly experienced" rider with a whopping 4 months of riding time?!!

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of the way, any motorcycle with a transmission problem is big bucks to fix. Stay away.

Honestly, with only 4 months of riding experience, you're not ready for a literbike unless you racked up 10,000+ miles during that time. A supersport 600 (late model ZX-6R, CBR 600RR, GSXR, R6) is already more than enough bike for you- you'd be going from about 70 rear wheel horsepower on your Katana to 100 rwhp, and dropping about 50 lbs of weight. A huge performance difference.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM

I completely understand your excitement to move up. I would just caution you in moving up too quickly. I rode a Ninja 250 for a year before I felt comfortable to move to a CBR600RR. I have been on the 600 for a year now and can def say that after 2 years of riding experience I am not ready for anything bigger than what I have. I would suggest either a 600 (CBR, GSXR, Ninja, etc) or a GSXR750.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

lol. thanks guys. well the 954 fell through. ha. good thing i guess. but i have a standing offer for a 2003 YZF600r for a grand. im pretty sure that im going to get it but it either has a bad ecu or icu. the owner said that he cant figure out which one it is and that hes not messin with it anymore. thats why he dropped the price so low. but how can i go about figuring out which one it is without having to buy both and go purely on trial and error? he said that he already changed the coil so it has to be one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode