New and want to start riding! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

New and want to start riding!

Hi! I live in the Las Vegas area.

I have no experience whatsoever with motorcycles. I am however, very much into cars and motorsports with 4wheels.

Now I want to learn motorbikes...whether it be cruisers or sportbikes. I have no idea what the different companies are, and what is considered a good bike.

I am as new as they come. I hope you all can help me get started in my purchase and learning of riding a motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Strength and Honor

First, you should do some extensive reading in the New Riders forum, especially the stickie threads that are the first ones listed. After you've done that I'm sure you'll have questions so come back onto this thread and ask away; that's what we're here for.

Second, if you opt to do something that many members have repeatedly advised against, it is ok to state that but be sure to note that you recognize you're going against conventional wisdom. On the flip side, you should not ask questions about which you don't really want the answer; in other words, if you've made you mind up about something (like the first bike you'll buy) don't ask for advice. That's the quickest way to peeve us off. Outside that we're a motley crew and give each other a hard time (often noted with )

Third, I had a good friend move from our area to Las Vegas and she gave up riding because of the large numbers of people who drive drunk around there. Please be aware this risk is higher in your area and ride appropriately.

Last, welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 AM

Kanwisch is slacking, if he wasn't he would tell you that...

...you should take the MSF course. The fees are different from state to state, but it is ussually around $200. For this, and a weekend of your time, you get two days instruction, first in the classroom and then in a parking lot, and best of all it is on their bikes. You walk out with your license. There are several obvious benefits to that.
1. It is much cheaper than buying your own bike, especially if you decide that riding is not your thing.
2. If you drop the bike learning, who cares, its theirs.
3. While they will not teach you anything earth shuddering, it will take you about 6 months to figure all these things out on your own. Mostly because on your own, you are going to start doing things the wrong way, and then will have to relearn.

Welcome!

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Strength and Honor

Vash has kindly covered one of the starter points that are included in a number of threads in the New Riders forum, as noted earlier There are others so, again, I recommend some reading in New Riders. Your up-front asking at such a basic level suggests you're interested in doing some research, so that's a plus for you already, GS.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Its funny you mentioned the New Riders forum. I just noticed it today while loggin in the forum.

But I know I'll have plenty of questions. I'll be back once I read all the threads.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM

I took the MSF course about a month ago and it was so valuable I can't even fully explain. I am getting my bike either this weekend or early next week and if I didn't take the course, I am positive I would be dead or hurt within a couple days of having my bike. The things they teach are invaluable and they honestly care about your success. Not to mention the class is extremely fun- the most fun I have had in awhile including the in class work. I see that you live in Vegas. That's where I live and where I took the class. The class is going to cost you $350 but is well worth it and I will probably take it again sometime. Register at the Harley Davidson dealership on S. Eastern and Sahara. Register soon because there is about a 2-3 month waiting list.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

So after I take the MSF course, I get a motorbike license? I thought I have to go through DMV
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM

They give you a certificate, that you take to the DMV to get your license. The certificate means that you do not have to take the DMV riding test, but you do have to take the written one, which the MSF course prepares you for. At least, thats how it works in texas

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Okay, been browsing through the new riders forum for 2 days now.

I have also been browsing through the different companies' website.

I have a question now about manual shifting. I know the left hand is used for the clutch. and left foot is used for gear shifting.
Can you explain to me how I would use a 6 speed on a bike? Press down to shift up, lift up to shift down? What about the Clutch handle? Can I let it out fast?

I'm asking this because on cars ...you let the clutch out fast, you end up damaging alot of things, therefore on a car you would SLIP the clutch.

Would all this be taught in the MSF course?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 PM

Vash, here in Las Vegas they give you their written test on the second day and then the riding test at the end of the last day. We don't have to take the DMV written or riding test.
GSavior- On a standard six speed, first gear is on the bottom and sixth is on the top, and neutral is in between first and second. So say I start out in first- I am going to roll off the throttle and pull the clutch in. Then as the clutch is still pulled in, I am going to pull UP on the gear shift lever to move into second. They will teach you all of this before they let you ride the bike so no worries,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode