new guy - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

new guy

well i have been lurking around the forums here for a little while and thought i would join up. ive been thinking about getting a bike for awhile now and figured id see if i can get some more info.

im looking to get a used ninja 250 or 500 to start out on. im not really decided which one i should lean more towards. the one thing that is making me lean more towards the 500 is the fact that i will be using the bike to commute to my college when the weather is nice and sometimes i need to take the freeway there. when i do take the free way i am only on for about 5 minutes so is that even worth extra money for a 500?

i looked at the msf website and they have one about an hour away from me so i will be looking into that in the future as well.

ive also been looking at getting gear. i found the ride2die website which convinced me even further to get gear, although i have always kinda liked gear anyways haha. i think i read that you should set aside about $1000 for gear. it seemed about right when i started looking at prices for different things. one question i had was about boots. ive read that sidi make pretty good boots. are they comfortable to walk around in? i mean could i ride to school then walk around on campus for a couple hours and not be in pain when i get home lol.

sorry its such a long post. any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Nice to see a fellow Ohioan on here. Looks like you're going down the right path with the bike, and setting aside the money for gear. I don't think 5 minutes on a freeway is enough to justify the difference between the 250 and 500 (unless you're getting an awesome deal on a 500).

Welcome to SBW!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 AM

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

+1 on snake's thoughts.

Boots will start out very stiff and won't be much fun to walk in for too long. However, like any shoe, the more you wear them, the more they'll soften and get comfy.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Strength and Honor

Depends on the boot, greatly. Some of Sidi's race/aggressive boots won't be comfortable to walk around in, they're designed for having the balls of you feet up on the pegs. The ideal is to try some on at a store and the second best is to work with a high quality vendor that won't charge you restocking fees every time you return something. Newenough.com has internal reviews/thoughts on gear and just such a policy and I've heard some crazy good things about their customer service. But local is the best starting bet IMO.

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Nice to see a fellow Ohioan on here. Looks like you're going down the right path with the bike, and setting aside the money for gear. I don't think 5 minutes on a freeway is enough to justify the difference between the 250 and 500 (unless you're getting an awesome deal on a 500).

Welcome to SBW!
thats what i was thinking as well. i am not going to buy a bike right away because i want to save a little more money so i can just pay for everything in cash and be done with it. is there a better time to buy them than others? like in the winter are they cheaper or in the spring because people want to buy new stuff and get rid of the old?

thanks for the welcome guys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Strength and Honor

Good deals come along seemingly randomly. I tend to keep an eye on prices at a variety of places for things that might be interesting and just make offers as seems appropriate. If its something I haven't tracked before, I usually want to see ~5-10 data points before I start feeling comfortable with the going cost.

Sites for tracking:
Ebay
Craigslist (for anything even remotely near you, many locations)
enthusiast sites/forums

Honestly I see the best prices and most detailed information in the last one. Normally you can read up on the owner, too, to see what kind of rider they were, which helps to decide on price. In my experience, people listing in local papers are out of their minds for what they think their motorcycle is worth, but maybe that's just a localized phenomena.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I've had people recommend racingjunk.com and mautofied.com also.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Good deals come along seemingly randomly. I tend to keep an eye on prices at a variety of places for things that might be interesting and just make offers as seems appropriate. If its something I haven't tracked before, I usually want to see ~5-10 data points before I start feeling comfortable with the going cost.

Sites for tracking:
Ebay
Craigslist (for anything even remotely near you, many locations)
enthusiast sites/forums

Honestly I see the best prices and most detailed information in the last one. Normally you can read up on the owner, too, to see what kind of rider they were, which helps to decide on price. In my experience, people listing in local papers are out of their minds for what they think their motorcycle is worth, but maybe that's just a localized phenomena.
thanks man that helps me out. yea, the stuff in my paper is 90% harley and the rest are 600 or 1000cc bikes anyways. i saw a ninja 500 awhile back but there was no price. one of my friends has an 08 ninja 250 hes been learning on so i might see if he'll give me a deal if he decides to sell by next year.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balt21 View Post
thanks man that helps me out. yea, the stuff in my paper is 90% harley and the rest are 600 or 1000cc bikes anyways. i saw a ninja 500 awhile back but there was no price. one of my friends has an 08 ninja 250 hes been learning on so i might see if he'll give me a deal if he decides to sell by next year.
thats what i have (250) and its a great bike to start with and you'll have no problem on the interstate, i took my baby on a 4hour drive going60-80 and an hour and a half doing 80-90 it will be fine for 5 mins just be careful with the winds
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
thats what i have (250) and its a great bike to start with and you'll have no problem on the interstate, i took my baby on a 4hour drive going60-80 and an hour and a half doing 80-90 it will be fine for 5 mins just be careful with the winds
thanks for the first hand input i keep leaning more towards the 250 more than the 500 the more i look at prices and what i will be using it for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode