New here and to riding. And already layed her down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

New here and to riding. And already layed her down

OK a bit about myself. I work as a field service tech for a rather large company... And decided that it was about time for me to do something nice for myself... I always wanted a bike but never got one in the past cause, well I'm dumb and would kill myself. So now that I am 25 (I know there isn't a majic age that you stop being dumb...) I figured I would have enough control not to do any thing stupid. So i got a 82 suzuki gs750t it was an old bike and I know most people have dropped them so I got a cheap one....

But I was ridding it around for about a month and started to get coumfortable one it... (not a good thing) I was riding with a group of friends and went around a turn (luckly not too fast) there was a stop light at the end of the turn that I forgot was there. It turned yellow, I grabbed the brake too hard and down I go. And me in my infinite wisdome don't have very much saftey gear on... I was wearing boots, jeans, t-shirt and full face helmate.

So now I have a broken clutch lever, speedo, turn signal, and leaking engine cover. So everyone else that is just starting out take my advice get the right safety gear. it will save you a bit of pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre96 View Post
So now I have a broken clutch lever, speedo, turn signal, and leaking engine cover. So everyone else that is just starting out take my advice get the right safety gear. it will save you a bit of pain.

Sorry to hear about your crash, glad you made it out without too much damage to yourself or the bike.

And everyone, whether starting out or a 50-year veteran, should dress up to go down.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Strength and Honor

The New Riders stickies cover that, plus something you're missing that's very important too: training. Get to an MSF course post haste.

And welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
The New Riders stickies cover that, plus something you're missing that's very important too: training. Get to an MSF course post haste.

And welcome
Thank you, I totally forgot to mention about that in there. I was going to take one but I go out of state almost every week and never know when so I would have to find one that does it only on the weekends (which I can't find one around that does) still looking though.

Thanks again
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

Sorry you had to learn the hard way that we don't dress up in leather just to look cool.

Hope you and the bike heal up quick and that you're out there again soon.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Live and learn. Shit happens.

I am a fellow PA rider. From Pittsburgh.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post

Sorry you had to learn the hard way that we don't dress up in leather just to look cool.

Cookee: Are you talking about Motorcycle Leather or your home gear?????

To Ogre;

You're already taking part in your training by admitting your mistake and learning from it. I would say don't be so hard on yourself, but really, you should be so you don't forget the lesson. Welcome to the home of some very knowledgeable and good advice dispensing riders! These guys will guide you no matter what day it is, and no matter what time.

Last edited by DT996; 07-11-2008 at 11:06 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT996 View Post
Cookee: Are you talking about Motorcycle Leather or your home gear?????...
Both.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post

Thanks Cookee,

Its going to take more then a little tumble to stop me from doing something I have wanted to do since I can remember. I am healed enough to jump back on her and am going to fix her up to day (hopefully with enough time to ride )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT996 View Post
Cookee: Are you talking about Motorcycle Leather or your home gear?????

To Ogre;

You're already taking part in your training by admitting your mistake and learning from it. I would say don't be so hard on yourself, but really, you should be so you don't forget the lesson. Welcome to the home of some very knowledgeable and good advice dispensing riders! These guys will guide you no matter what day it is, and no matter what time.
I will be the first person to say when I mess up, and I appreciate all the advice from everyone... even if it is calling me a friggen idiot (so open invite if i say or do something dumb which i most likely will feel free to give me a slap upside the head)

P.S. I am going to get the rest of my gear when I go get some parts I need to fix the old girl
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Sorry to hear about your spill Ogre. Welcome to the forum though. The guys on here really know just about everything when it comes to riding and bikes, it's awesome. I just started riding in the spring and they have answered every question I've ever had and never called me out on my stupidity. I hope you get the bike running so you can get back out there (with gear on hopefully) and have some fun. But if you've got questions this is the place to post them. You can trust what they say 100%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode