noob in ohio first bike?? sugestions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

noob in ohio first bike?? sugestions?

Have saved about 4gs for a down payment for my first bike .. i do alot of longer driving up to 3 hrs weekly ..the one i found that i like so far is the new 2008 suzuki gsx-600f but then again idk .. it will be brand new and the people at the dealer really talked it up .. said that the bike has higher bars so its more comphy but then again it has all the power compared to a gsxr 750?? lol i konw thats what i said .. no way it compare to a 750 lol .. but anyways make some sugggestions .. noting under a 600 .. another thought was the honda cbr 600fi but let me konw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:22 PM

I think since you are new to bikes that you should find a 1000cc bike. Don't matter if it's a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or whatever. But the GSXR1000 is a nice bike for a newbie.

We need a few less people in Ohio anyway.

Ride it like you stole it, and keep the rubber side down.
Flapper Mod
Stock Exhaust Mod
Front Flush Mounts
Integrated Tail Light
Custom Undertail
Xenon Blue Headlights
Titax Gold Shorts Levers
BTW: Her Name is Nicole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM

Why would you want to buy brand new for your first bike?

Why not get a used one so that WHEN you drop it or lay it down you didn't just scrape off $1000 or so off its value?

And if you end up buying it and finding out that kinda bike isn't really for you and resell it after one or two seasons you are going to eat a huge loss. Even more so cause it will have been dropped a few times, more likely than not.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

well the thing about that is .. used bikes run for about the same as the new one .. the gsx650f is only 6999 new and a used cbr is around the same .. if you can find another bike for me that is comphy and an older moldel with the power im looking for than let me know .. i really wanted to get a used one but that sales man knew how to twist stuff ya know .. juss doing his job
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

and whats the comment "there needs to be less of us in ohio" mean?? insult? i dont get it nash .. but a 1000 for a noob is not someing for me!!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
The salesman wants to sell you a new bike because he gets more money that way, and he's banking on the fact that when (not if, mind you, but when) you wreck your bike (new or used) you're going to sustain enough injuries that you aren't a candidate for repeat sales.

Seriously, if you get a new bike to start on you are going to regret it. I know a chick that sells bikes at Competition Accessories (only about 40 minutes from the West side of Col's) I'll talk to her today and see what she's got in the used department. In the meantime, pick up a copy of Cycle Trader and start looking for Mid-90's CBR-600 F2/F3's, or basically any year of Ninja 250's or even 500's. The GS500F is a great starter bike, but as you are finding out they are a little too pricey to really attract new riders.

Out of curiousity, how much have you set aside for gear, or have you already bought it?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

Last edited by snakesht; 03-24-2008 at 05:12 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

thats funny you say that .. i went to compition acessories and the girl is who i talked to .. tammy i think it was .. dont get me wrong they suggested plenty of used ones .. i just want something comfortable for my back.. how foward do you lean for cbr 600's?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:10 AM

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the new Suzuki GSX-650F. Powerwise, at 75 rear wheel horsepower, the bike would be suitable for a new rider. And as you noted, they do have a higher set handlebar and more roomy ergonomics. Really falls into the middleweight sport-tourer niche. At $6999 MSRP, it is also a pretty good buy, being $2000 cheaper than the 600 supersport class. The only downside to the GSX is that is is incredibly heavy for a 650 size bike-525 lbs wet weight. Which makes it a bit more of a challenge for a new rider to handle at low speeds.

Some other bikes in this category include:

The aforetmentioned CBR 600 F2's and F3's.
The Kawasaki Ninja 650R and 500R.
1993-2004 Kawasaki ZX-6E aka ZZR-600. (not the ZX-6R)
Suzuki SV-650
Yamaha YZF-600R. (not the R6)

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Not Tammy, she almost had me talked into buying a CBR600RR until I found the Gixxer for $1500 less...same year, both brand new. Since then I refuse to deal with her. Comp will take you for a ride unless you're tough with them. I kind of know the owner, which helps slightly but not as much as I'd like.

The older CBR's are a little more relaxed. I started on a '92 that had a Corbin Gunslinger seat...very comfy but not condusive to getting off in the turns. My buddy started on an F3 ('95-'96) that was a little more agressive, and handled like a dream in the corners, had tons of grunt for an older bike, yet not so much that a moment's inattention would put you in a ditch or on your back.

Seriously, Cycle Trader or other classifieds (or word of mouth) is the best way to get a used starter bike...who cares if it's scratched, you'll be adding to that. Get a year or 2 under your belt so that when you do get a new 600 you won't make an ass out of yourself by laying it down pulling out of the dealership.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

+1 to those bikes zx listed.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode