noob from OR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

noob from OR

hey everyone, a buddy of mine recently got a newer r6 and it got me thinkin... i have a 03 mustang gt and its crazy on gas... so something a little cheaper but also faster at the same time is what i'm lookin at. i don't know hardly anything about bikes to be honest, more into muscle cars.. but i'm here to learn.

whats the best bang for the buck on bikes? imho alot of the bikes out there look really similar so as long as it looks alright, i just want something fairly inexpensive but fast. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastgofast View Post
...i don't know hardly anything about bikes to be honest...
I say this not to exploit your lack of knowledge but to extend your duration of life...

Get a new Ninja 250. I have to admit I like the looks, and it will get up and go just fine for a starter bike.

I have an '00 Trans Am WS6 that I thought was fast until I started riding. Now it's just something to shine up and take to car shows, or take the women for a ride in.

If you're smart about it, riding will be one of the most rewarding things you ever do in your life. If you're not smart about it, it will end your life.

Good luck.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 AM
Strength and Honor

Read the stickies at the top of this forum and then decide whether you want to pursue this question or not.

As for comparison to a car, there isn't one. I love my wife's f-body but my first bike ('84 VF500F) could still take it down. There are lots of negatives to switching to being bike-only, not the least of which is weather. Think about the things you carry/haul including passengers. It is rarely a good idea to only have a bike for transport and don't be fooled by mileage. Bikes go through tires far more rapidly than cars, require more TLC, and are more likely to be stolen, very generally speaking. Insurance is more expensive for younger guys and if you have any IQ above a rock you've got to invest in gear too, which isn't cheap if you do it right. Then you'll be replacing the gear on a regular schedule. For instance a lid (helmet) will last you about 5 years before you've got to find another $200-600.

Supersport bikes (GSXR, 600RR, ZX-6R, R6, 750cc+) are not cost-savers. 250s and 500s might be.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode