MSF SUCKS for Intermediates - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

MSF SUCKS for Intermediates

I think this is the WORST section of the forum to put this in because it gives the idea to rookies/noobs that the MSF Sucks for them. What I really mean to say is that it sucks for a person that has been riding for a little while (1 month more or less). I picked up biking and dirt biking QUICK. Never made a mistake, never have ever crashed. I was told by people here that it would be worth it but it wasnt. I did NOT learn ANYTHING!! Wait, I take that back I learned that I'm not the best at worthless u-turns that you have to do 2 in a 10'x10' box.
So, I think its great for rookies but not for more intermediate people.
I have learned from the internet and learned NOTHING from MSF.
I will NOT take their advanced course! I dont feel like I got my moneys worth.
I could've taught the class.
This thread is just for me to ask questions that I thought would've been answered in the MSF
Here goes:

1) I get a little nervous about taking slower speed turns and leaning into them. I prefer to counter weight the bike.
At what speed is it "Okay" to lean into the turn? 25mph?
I can do faster turns great... NO thanks to the MSF.
Just need to get more time in.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

2) with cold weather and a cold engine the choke must be engaged to provide a rich air-to-fuel ratio. If you just start it up and take off wont that be Considerably more gas usage? I understand that cold engine + cold weather + lots of throttle = Super rich

3) counter steering should be used at say.... 20mph - 200mph? correct?
I cant remember the good questions I had so I'm just posting these in the meantime.
thanks again
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
I think this is the WORST section of the forum to put this in because it gives the idea to rookies/noobs that the MSF Sucks for them. What I really mean to say is that it sucks for a person that has been riding for a little while (1 month more or less). I picked up biking and dirt biking QUICK. Never made a mistake, never have ever crashed. I was told by people here that it would be worth it but it wasnt. I did NOT learn ANYTHING!! Wait, I take that back I learned that I'm not the best at worthless u-turns that you have to do 2 in a 10'x10' box.
So, I think its great for rookies but not for more intermediate people.
I have learned from the internet and learned NOTHING from MSF.
I will NOT take their advanced course! I dont feel like I got my moneys worth.
I could've taught the class.
This thread is just for me to ask questions that I thought would've been answered in the MSF
Here goes:

1) I get a little nervous about taking slower speed turns and leaning into them. I prefer to counter weight the bike.
At what speed is it "Okay" to lean into the turn? 25mph?
I can do faster turns great... NO thanks to the MSF.
Just need to get more time in.

thanks
Counter weighting the bike is natural. As is the need, or benefit of leaning into the turn (or hanging off). At higher speeds, hanging off will offer the benefit of more weight to the inside of the machine, which will allow for less lean angle of the machine itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
2) with cold weather and a cold engine the choke must be engaged to provide a rich air-to-fuel ratio. If you just start it up and take off wont that be Considerably more gas usage? I understand that cold engine + cold weather + lots of throttle = Super rich

3) counter steering should be used at say.... 20mph - 200mph? correct?
I cant remember the good questions I had so I'm just posting these in the meantime.
thanks again
At colder temperatures fuel will have a tendancy to stick to cylinder walls etc, therefore more will be needed to assure a proper burn and warm up. It shouldn't last long enough to have an effect on fuel mileage by too much.

Counter steering is done as needed above a given speed (required by physics, and mostly transparent to the rider).

I ponder the relevance of those answers to the focus of the MSF basic rider course and passing any state driving exam. But if you are done learning from the MSF, there are always trackdays and roadrace schools that may more aptly suit your desires.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode